Vista HTML problems..

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bc008, Jan 9, 2009.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

Okay, I know MacRumors might not be the best place to ask this, but i thought id ask.

my Info Tech (computers) exam is to make a simple website using our beginner HTML skills in notepad.. easy enough right?

the problem is, I cant seem to figure out how to open the site in IE.. it just show all of the HTML i typed, not the actual site.. any ideas?

also, noob question: what program is best for typing simple code in leopard? i would love to make it on my mac but windows is my schools OS. also, if i were to make it in leopard how would i preview it in a browser?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

1) are you sure you are saving the file as .html and not .txt.. as in, when you save the file in notepad, make sure you select the "all files" type not leave it as "txt document"

2) you can use textedit (kind of like notepad on windows) in leopard to freehand your html.. again make sure its saved as .html (or .htm if you prefer).. then you can open the file in safari (or which ever browser you using in leopard) to check how the web page looks

hope this helps

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

see, I thought that was my problem, but .html wasnt in the drop down menu?
    [​IMG]
    now it might be hidden or something.. im no expert in vista..

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

5. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

haha thanks a million :D im a noob at HTML and it worked fine at school (xp) so i was assuming it was a vista problem

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

you would have had to do the same thing in xp too :) choose the "All files" and then type the "filename.html".. :D

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just some editor suggestions. On Windows I like using Notepad++. On Mac you have a few good free options including: TextWrangler, Smultron, and Taco HTML Edit, which are nicer to use than TextEdit as they are for coding and have color syntax and the like. Also, in some editors (like TextWrangler) you can change how it saves the file in terms of line endings. If you weren't aware, Mac and Windows use different line ending characters. Anyways though some editors will let you set this, so you can set it for Windows then if you have to open it in Notepad on Windows it'll look right.

8. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

but at school .html is in the drop down menu, like I didnt have to type it ;)

and thanks for the suggestions! I didnt know mac HTML was different from windows :( im gunna have to do this project on the pc until I have some time to figure out how to code in OS X

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The line endings aren't part of HTML, they apply to any text document. Doing HTML code on Mac is the same thing as on Windows, especially if you're using a text editor.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

TextWrangler is the best I've found so far for doing straight html code in OS X.

11. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

TextWrangler is the best free application... Serious HTML coders may likely prefer BBEdit. It's also by Bare Bones Software.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, I meant best free app.

13. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

put simply:
    HTML is just the language you code in.. whether you write it on a mac/pc/linux etc.. makes no difference as the code will be the same..

what your write your code in (the editor) will be different depending on what operating system you use .. ie, notepad in windows is different to textedit on a mac etc.. but the actual code you write will be the same..
    there are many more editors available for operating systems like others have mentioned above... the interface will be different but the code will be the same.

eg:
    Code:
    <html>
       <head>
           <title>My First HTML Page</title>
       </head>
       <body>
           <p>
              Look at me... I'm writing HTML.. woohoo!!
           </p>
       </body>
    </html>
    so the code above will work on any operating system in any browser..

hope this clears any of your confusion..