Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hello. I need to buy a windows version, since I have atleast one application which I need to run which only has a windows version. This is mathcad. Now I was wondering if Windows Vista can use the same cool virtual machine tricks as windows xp can. Such as using the same version which is installed with bootcamp in the virtual machine, the unity feature, 3d acceleration and etc.

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
i run vista in parallels. )haevnt used vmware) but it seems pretty quite snappy in parallels. startup times are really quite impressive

Does coherence, sharing of bootcamp partition and 3d acceleration also work for Vista?

oh btw, only vista ultimate can be virtualised... if u did or didnt kno this already im not sure... but yea.

Can the other versions not be virtualized as in it is just not possible, or microsoft dosen't want you to? I live in Europe, so I am not sure if this applies for us Europeens. Maybe someone can tell me?

If we indeed are not allowed to, I guess I will have to buy Windows XP. Does anyone know for how long software updates will be out for Windows XP?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
1Does coherence, sharing of bootcamp partition and 3d acceleration also work for Vista?

2Can the other versions not be virtualized as in it is just not possible, or microsoft dosen't want you to? I live in Europe, so I am not sure if this applies for us Europeens. Maybe someone can tell me?

3If we indeed are not allowed to, I guess I will have to buy Windows XP. Does anyone know for how long software updates will be out for Windows XP?

1. yup coherence and everything else works exactly the same as with xp.

2. M$ ONLY allows ultimate, its physically impossible to virtualize it.

3. do u mean software updates for vista?? SP1 for vista isnt that far away, i think it was end of september or october.

DoFoT9

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
3. do u mean software updates for vista?? SP1 for vista isnt that far away, i think it was end of september or october.

DoFoT9

Nope, I mean software updates for Windows Xp. I would imagine that Microsoft sooner or later will drop support, in order to force people to upgrade the OS, and thereby earning even more money.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
oh btw, only vista ultimate can be virtualised... if u did or didnt kno this already im not sure... but yea.

Not quite true. Per the EULA only Vista Business or Ultimate can be virtualized, but there is no technical reason why either Home Basic or Premium won't work, it's just not a right granted to you by the EULA. (In fact, people have reported success in running Home versions in Parallels).

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.