Vista installer wont boot past loading screen, reason to suspect its my graphics card

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by APAV, Oct 1, 2008.

1. APAV macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm new here so I'll try to give you as much info as possible.

So I was running vista fine until it started to get extremely slow to boot, and eventually wouldn't boot at all. I erased the partition and tried to install it again. Even at the black loading screen on the installer disk after "Windows is configuring files" or whatever the same would happen. So now I created a bootcamp partition and used it to back-up everything with time machine. Restored my mac, updated everything, restored and erased partition(btw each partition I made was 100 gig). Tried installing it again, STILL get the black screen. I also noticed that each time in the black screen, the green bars that would run across the box in the middle of the screen would eventually slow down if you waited long enough, as if some kind of lag was there after waiting awhile. Oh and right before vista started acting weird, I installed a ton of programs I needed, but maybe one of them was a virus or something? But I don't think that matters because I erased my whole partition completely. I have tried everything I know, please help!

EDIT: I tested this on my vista laptop and it loads, so its the mac, not the install disc.

2. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Help On Finding A New Solution

Well, I have found the answer to my problem. It wasn't the cd drives, which I was almost certain it was. It is my video card:

http://infopirate.org/new-vista-install

If you look under similar entries also you will find more people experiencing the same problem, but this one I gave you is by far the similar problem I found. But now, my question is, what is the solution for me??? Do I have to schedule it for a repair in my local mac store to swap the video cards(the one I have in is an ATI Radeon X1600), or can it be swapped at all??? Help I really need to use vista!!

ANOTHER EDIT: VMware installs vista perfectly, but bad for games. So it really only seems that this installation from a blank partition is the problem.