Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
More Anti Apple crap from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6310599.stm

Rival Apple may grab the headlines (and the biggest share of the MP3 player market), but in the computer space it is puny.

The reason: Apple insists on controlling the whole package, from the operating system to the central hardware.

As a result, Apple lacks the breadth of hard- and software that attracts customers.

Apple may glow in the halo of its iconic iPods and gain kudos from the tech-savvy crowd. But so far, the shallowness of Apple's industrial ecosystem has made the firm's offering pricey and limited its success in the market place.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Check this out... not at all a biased source, msnbc:rolleyes: . But... read to the end:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/

YT

I wonder if the site editors read the article to the very end. I also wonder whether there are any switchers that have actually gone the other way through choice. All of Gates' claims for Vista sound so hollow. The new beginning for computers, blah, blah, blah. Macs are about actual products and elements that exist now, not just hype about what might be possible in the future. How is TV ever going to look outdated, as Gates describes, if we rely on MS to do it? What he is describing are the things that companies like Apple and Google, and smaller Open Source players are doing, but taking credit for it.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London

Rival Apple may grab the headlines (and the biggest share of the MP3 player market), but in the computer space it is puny.

The reason: Apple insists on controlling the whole package, from the operating system to the central hardware.

As a result, Apple lacks the breadth of hard- and software that attracts customers.

Apple may glow in the halo of its iconic iPods and gain kudos from the tech-savvy crowd. But so far, the shallowness of Apple's industrial ecosystem has made the firm's offering pricey and limited its success in the market place.

To be fair to the Beeb, whilst their online downloadable content isn't that mac friendly, they devote a disproportionately large amount of coverage to Apple products and are generally quite positive about it. I expect that this reflects the views of the author and not the corporation. And anyway, we all know better now, don't we.;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I spotted this in Virgin Megastores this morning. Craply shaped box. I'm interested in giving it a go though, it really can only get better from XP. I don't shun Windows, I need to use the OS to develop my games as my software suite has no OSX version. booo.

Yea. I'm curious! How proud Apple should feel that Microsoft actually copied OSX.

Vista - MS's nod to Apple.

tshakey

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2007
England
vista is out!!
the suffering for PC users begins ;)
won't be long before they'll come flooding in to switch to mac
i think apple need to get leopard out quickly, so when people go into shops to upgrade their comp, they get an excelent alternative to vista, rather than a slightly outdated, about to be upgraded, one

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I installed it on my work desktop about four hours ago, and it's crashed (as in had to reboot) twice while trying to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Active X control.

Otherwise, it's pretty and like spotlight, the "instant search" is not really all that instant.

Needless to say, I won't be replacing my default Mac OS X anytime soon.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
What is the 'Show us your WOW' Contest anyway? :confused:
I think it's where you open a bunch of windows, then span them all out in Flip 3D and post the shot or something of that nature. They all look the same and none of them are very "Wow!".

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What is the 'Show us your WOW' Contest anyway? :confused:

Eight guys need to go to a radio station, pull down their pants, and try to impress. In the end, someone will trip and fall over "something", hit his head, and die. People will blame the inherent safety risks of having so many lengthy things laid on the ground when 8 people are cramped into a confined space.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

The reason: Apple insists on controlling the whole package, from the operating system to the central hardware. TRUE

As a result, Apple lacks the breadth of hard- and software that attracts customers. TRUE ABOUT HARDWARE, AND ONLY TRUE ABOUT SOFTWARE FOR SOME PEOPLE

Apple may glow in the halo of its iconic iPods and gain kudos from the tech-savvy crowd. But so far, the shallowness of Apple's industrial ecosystem has made the firm's offering pricey TRUE and limited its success in the market place.DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT, BUT PEOPLE SEEM TO BE BUYING THEM NOW

I don't think they're so anti-Apple. And besides, the BBC likes Apple computers and products.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I think it's where you open a bunch of windows, then span them all out in Flip 3D and post the shot or something of that nature. They all look the same and none of them are very "Wow!".

That's what I thought it was. :)

Eight guys need to go to a radio station, pull down their pants, and try to impress. In the end, someone will trip and fall over something, hit his head, and die. People will blame the inherent safety risks of having so many lengthy things laid on the ground when 8 people are cramped into a confined space.

Actually, I was thinking someone needs to go and submit a picture of a Finder window. That would be hilarious. :D

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Interesting article. But, it got me thinking - yes we have system wide spell-checker and dictionary, but maybe we need a grammar-checker too. Tehre were a lot of moments where I had to reread a few times to make sure I'd understood his point. Not a big deal if it had been a forum post, but in a news article, it undermined his authority.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Check this out... not at all a biased source, msnbc:rolleyes: . But... read to the end:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/

YT

Pretty well written article, however I am dubious about anyone who praises the *new* Vista features which have been in Mac OSX 10.4 for sometime now. I did laugh at the 2 second shutdown bit, I don't really think you can seriously have that as a solid sales pitch.

I do like his "Media player is better than iTunes" bit, if it's better why can't is recognise an iPod or play any of his music content and more to the point why does the M$ iTunes Store equivelant have less content :rolleyes:

The only reason for Vista to sell very well is that every single OEM manufacturer will be putting a copy of Vista instead of XP on their computers. Besides that I can't see too many people updating for a while.

For the record I use XP at work and my bosses aren't opening the cheque book too quickly for a Vista upgrade they can't see the cost = any benefits for the time being.:apple:

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
"Show us your WOW..."
Hmmm....
Yes.
A). I think that if I did you really wouldn't like me. I mean kids are going to see this.
B). This? After 6 years? Show us your WOW? This is seriously the best you can do? I'm sad.

I actually have a couple of friends up in Seattle that work for these muppets. I think that somewhere deep inside they are flushing with embarassment.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
"Show us your WOW..."
Hmmm....
Yes.
A). I think that if I did you really wouldn't like me. I mean kids are going to see this.
B). This? After 6 years? Show us your WOW? This is seriously the best you can do? I'm sad.

I actually have a couple of friends up in Seattle that work for these muppets. I think that somewhere deep inside they are flushing with embarassment.

This is a great 2001 idea.... and it is now 2007.

When M$ have a good 2002 idea it will be 2013 for everyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.