Vista/iTunes problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superhuman, Aug 13, 2009.

1. superhuman macrumors member

Oh man... I was a borderline expert when it came to XP, but I decided to bite the bullet and leave my comfort zone when I bought a new PC. Needless to say I regret it.

Here are my problems:

1. Cannot update HP printer drivers. No matter how many times I tell Vista to "Allow", my downloads of HP updates fail. Further, I've tried allowing the update site in both my antivirus program AND my firewall, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

2a. iTunes. I like to use iTunes because I use the AirPort Express peripheral to stream music to other rooms in my house... plus I've managed my iPods and iPhone with it for so long that I've come to kind of like it. That being said, ever since I moved my operations to my new computer, the audio on the computer fails (seemingly) at random. The only way to restore audio, whether it's in Media Player, a browser, or some other program is to close iTunes and then reboot it. This makes me think it might be some issue with QuickTime, but I've installed subsequent updates and the problem is still existent.

2b. When streaming music to AirPort Express, the stream seems to be interrupted when the computer goes idle. I'm assuming this is some function of the power save mode; how can I address this?

2c. When using AirPort Express, iTunes locks up if I try to revert to "My Computer" for speaker selection OR if I deselect Airport Express under Multiple Speakers. The same is not true if I deselect my computer speakers; iTunes continues to operate just fine.

I'm thinking most of the problems are related to permissions... but apparently I haven't found the correct way to address these access issues such that the problem is rectified. I realize this is Post #1 for me, but any help would be much appreciated nonetheless.

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Welcome to Vista. Its the reason I own a mac :)

1. For HP updates they are notorious for being finicky with vista. (If you are using auto update features.)

The better thing is to go to google, type in your HP Printer model "driver downloads" and then get them straight from HPs site. (Also its usually easier to go through google because if you go to HPs site to type it in you can type things like "HP Laserjet 3390 drivers" and get 32394234 pages of wrong stuff. Google finds it faster).

2a. For audio, make sure you have the correct driver. The compaq computers we have at work have that annoying issue because the wrong driver came with the system.

2b and 2c I can't help with I've never used an airport express or streamed audio : /

3. superhuman thread starter macrumors member

Ha, I now understand all the gripes about Vista.

1. I was able to directly update my HP drivers... thanks!

2a. When you say correct audio driver, do you mean for the sound card? I suppose that's possible because I just have the pre-installed drivers as I figured they'd be correct. I'll check into it.

2b and 2c... anybody?

Thanks again!

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oops yes I meant sound card driver. There are some compaqs we have and I've seen some other computers (I forget the models I see A LOT of computers) that have came bundled with outdated or incorrect sound drivers. Also make sure something isn't messing with your sound settings. Sometimes media keyboards have a hotkey assigned to mute.