Vista.....not so bad?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SirJ, Dec 7, 2008.

1. SirJ macrumors member

Hey everyone,
    First, I'd like to apologize because this is probably not in the right place to maintain forum feng shui, but I am really excited and wanted to see what you guys think.

Yesterday, my dad and I built a new computer (replaces our old dell dimension 4550). This is the first computer that we've built and I think I learned a lot from the experience. We put in 8 GB RAM, E8400 processor, Geforce 9500 for our new Samsung 2253 and old Magnavox something (17 inch), ASUS P5E-Q, Saitek backlit keyboard (very cool) and a couple 750GB HDDs. OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Was first wondering what you guys think of it, I realize it's not a beast with quad-core and 3-way SLI but we don't need that for word docs, Photoshop and Reason.

Also, does anyone have anything good to say about Vista? I realize this is a Mac forum but I 1) feel I can learn as much or more about things from looking at the cons and 2) really like the Aero interface (glass windows are really neat). I read somewhere aero is Microsoft's take on Aqua which is an OSX thing, but I've never seen the glass look in OSX.

Any comments or answers would be really appreciated

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have Vista running on this HP that I am typing on right now. It's very dependable. I don't think I have ever had it crash ever since I got it in July. I haven't rebooted it either in like two months, just sleep.

I think it's allot more stable then XP ever could be. We have it on both of our laptops that are HPs.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. I've used Vista extensively, and kept my Mac bias out of it as much as possible, and there is nothing good I can say about Vista. The interface has got to be the most user unfriendly, cluttered piece of crap anyone could ever make. Sure, it's pretty, but eye candy only goes so far.

Vista reminds me of Miss South Carolina. Sure, it's pretty, and you wouldn't mind playing with it for a couple hours, but would you really want to be using something so stupid for an extended period?

4. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

Wow those are polar opposite replies.

What about the interface specifically don't you like? I've had it for all of a day so I'll be the first to admit that yes, aesthetics are the main thing I've noticed about it thus far.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It seems like the people that dont have problems never get them, the people that do have problems get ALOT of them.

I for one, typing this on a vista machine, can bear it knowing that im buying a mac after february.

Its the little things that will bug you the most. For me its the CONSTANT crashing of explorer.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's very problematic for me since I run old software. XP manages both old and new without hitch. Vista takes longer than XP to boot, to boot individual apps, to do anything really. But it is a new OS - just one that doesn't have any benefits for me at all.

Especially bad since Vista can't be installed on a Fat32 drive. I know it's old but with full OSX compatibility I swear by it (and Macdrive for the XP side).

7. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Call me odd, I kinda miss Windows. Almost like it better, then Mac OS X. But I am going to college next year and need a windows machine. So I will be selling my iMac.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Vista takes so much less time to boot on MY computer than XP. Not sure why, it just does. If you start>*right click* Computer> Properties

you can see your Benchmark score for your machine. Mine is 4.8 due to 2GB RAM. Thats the only thing below 5.1.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Mine is 3.4, came with Vista allong with 4GB ram.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Maybe the CPU? It's a Duo Core 1.83GHZ. Vista is 64 bit.

Wait, it gave the graphics card a 3.4 so that's it.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I like Vista, but decided against using it as my main OS because fiddling with it is a nightmare! Everything's moved about and so un-intuitive.

Personally, I can not wait for Windows 7.. I built a desktop too, just for when SC2 comes out, and I'll throw Win7 on that asap, as much as I like OS X, it's just not Windows

13. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Personally, and this is just MY opinion. I refuse to use vista in any environment. Whether that be at home or at work i would rather use windows 95!.

There are just certain things about vista that are so anoying and make doing this twice as long. Having to authenticate everytime you want to move a file or the way it will sit there calculating how many files your copying or deleting. Who really cares about how many files there are. Xp this was done straight away now your sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for it.

Out of the box, it does not like connecting to SMB shares, as in samba based servers. You have to hack the registry in order to get this to work. Now the average user mum or dad would not have a clue how to do this.

There are so many stupid wizards that need to be run to set up wireless connections and stuff like that which you can do with a few clicks in xp.

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I don't care for Vista because the only time I ever have to use it is when I'm trying to fix a problem one of my friends is having out of it. People always bash OS X for being a "walled garden" but at least it lets me do my work without baby sitting me and holding my hand through the entire process.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yea Microsoft tried to make it more user friendly by making automated processes do almost everything, but in reality they just muddled everything up and shuffled everything around. Pissing off anyone who actually knows how to use a computer.

16. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

17. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Worse, more than 15 people actually bought Vista.

18. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

<You Are Now Pointing Out Windows' Flaws: Cancel or Allow?>

Is Vista anything at all like XP? Then I won't be using it anytime soon. I switched from XP one year ago - after going through hell in several iterations of Windows (with the same problems and system errors nipping at my rear end on all of them). The experience of several generations of Windows use has me soured enough to prevent me from installing Vista on my Macintosh (Boot Camp). Therefore it will be several years at least before I even consider using a new Windows version. The Windows taste has got to wash out of my mouth a bit...

I know several people personally who have used Vista and detest it - with similar problems cited by all. I don't know any one person personally who thinks it's any good. In contrast, I have not had one single glitch on my Mac - realistically I know they're not perfect and I am strangely expectant of a problem at some point (not due to any error on my current machine) but at that point its dependability will have very much eclipsed anything M$ has to offer.

I have to deal with XP once in a while and that's bad enough. Every time I use it I am reminded why I detest it as much as I do.

19. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I think that Vista is a fantastic operating system, works flawlessly for me, and I honestly trust it more than OS X.

I got to use Windows 7 the other day however, and it completely puts Vista to shame. It makes Vista seem like a bloated, slow OS with a bad user interface, and using their new taskbar that resembles the OS X dock (but is actually incredibly different - at first I thought it was poorly designed because I'm used to the OS X dock but once I realized how it works I find it intuitive and perhaps superior) makes the current Vista taskbar look ancient.

Basically, I think Vista is great, and 7 will be incredible.

20. No1451 macrumors 6502

I've used it since RC 2, and I really don't have anything to say on the negative side. My machine boots quickly(under 1 min to get to a usable desktop), and its stable as can be.

Honestly though, a lot of issues that will crop up stem from usage patterns. If you keep your machine clean(don't install 10 new programs a day) and maintain it(AV scans, nothing fancy) it should run fine. Also keeping your drivers up to date helps a lot for stability(unless its already stable, don't mess with what isn't broken).

To the poster who said they don't wanna see the calculating stuff, well, I'm not sure what you expect. If they didn't let the user know that the computer was doing SOMETHING you get the people who start trying to cancel or kill it, assuming that its just frozen up. The deleting one is because the machine needs to check if there is actually room in the Recycling Bin.

@OP: Biggest bit of advice, read reviews of your hardware, make sure it jives well with Vista, I made sure to, and my machine hasn't experienced a system crash in several weeks(in fact the last one was actually caused by software going crazy on me).

21. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you realise that you cant install Windows on your Mac either natively or virtually. you are saying you need Windows for college but a Mac is actually a Windows machine aswell.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You get the beeeeeeeeest of both worlds, la la la dee dee de de da doooooo.

23. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'm not picking on you, so heads up no offense. I just find it amusing you have to put a time line on system crashes... The World of Windows. :D

24. gmecca2 macrumors regular

After converting to a mac 4 years ago I will never go back unless Mac becomes unreliable as WIndows is.

The whole operating system will work for the first 6 months then become garbage from my experience.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea part of windows biggest problem is that it just gets clunkier and clunkier as it goes. Funny enough theres an amazing amount of people out there with the mindset that its normal to have to restore a computer every certain amount of time, like its a tune up or something.

Thats what happens with such a huge marketshare tho.