Vista OEM Preinstallation Kit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Javaman74, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Javaman74 macrumors member

First, I apologize if this question has been answered before. I searched and waded through several threads without finding what I was looking for.

I ordered an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium, and now that I've received it (though I haven't opened it), I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. In reading the details on the outside of the packaging, it says that it must be installed using the OEM Preinstallation Kit, which is included.

I've read on some PC forums that you can actually install VISTA using the DVD and forget about the kit, but I wanted to get some input from someone who has installed the software on a Mac, not on a PC box. So, can I safely ignore the kit piece? If so, will I need to be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life for the Microsoft stormtroopers for breaking the licensing agreement? Am I better off shipping the OEM version back and exchanging it for retail?

Thanks in advance for any info/experiences you can relate.

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

the preinstall kit is like a factory mode for shipping out computers. Lets you reset it so when the user switches it on they are presented with a new user screen. This allows all drivers and addons to be installed

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Use it. I have a Vista Ultimate OEM and it works perfectly.

Just remember that it will be tied to the computer that you first install and activate it on, and if you attempt to install it on another computer at another time, it will not activate without a phone call to Microsoft.

4. Javaman74 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I'm not that worried about the fact that it will be tied to that motherboard, but when you installed it, did you just stick the DVD in and use bootcamp, or did you use the kit?

5. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Fergit the kit! You don't need it. I installed Vista Ultimate OEM just using the DVD...runs like a normal install.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yes, us System Builders use that magical disc to seal the installation, to where the end-user gets the Welcome to Windows screen, where they create their user account, etc.

Works wonders so you can first install all the hardware drivers, install any included software, and tweak a bit, then seal it back up.

I use the XP version on computers I sell on Craigslist, because I dunno whos gonna buy it, and its nice for the customer to put their own name in. Not some generic User or Owner. :p

7. Javaman74 thread starter macrumors member