Vista on a Macbook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NewGuy7, Apr 12, 2007.

1. NewGuy7 macrumors newbie

So I have a 2.0 Ghz Macbook(not Pro) w/ 1gig of RAM. Are the Macbooks able to run Vista? Or should I just install Windows XP? I've used both, and I'm assuming that while Vista still has issues, it might be a little more stable than XP. Thanks for your help.

2. CDL0012 macrumors newbie

Yes. works great. Only problem that I see is that you are not able to use the tapping feature of the trackpad yet.

3. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

What's the tapping feature?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im not sure if vista is stabler than xp, it might be more secure since the hackers are still working for the new OS.

but GMA950+1G ram is good enough for vista+Aero.

5. ivnj macrumors 65816

Sometimes you can tap the part where you move you finger and mose works.

Instead of the button you can just tap twice and do the same as a click.

But not on any MAC I've seen so far.

Thanks,
    ivnj

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oh really i thought that was just a computer preference i haven t tried that but i will...

7. AdamL macrumors member

Are you saying you've never seen the option to turn that on, on a Mac? I have it on right now. Under the trackpad tab in System Preferences click the check mark next to "Clicking" under Trackpad gestures. You can also enable it to do a right by using two fingers when you tap the trackpad. Pretty cool.

8. ivnj macrumors 65816

Seriously? I've never seen it. Must be the new machines. My Pismo has no option like that. Is this only in 10.4. I have 10.3.9 and the is no trackpad area on in System Preferences.

Thanks,
    ivnj

9. ivnj macrumors 65816

Never mind I found it in Keyboard and Mouse in System Preferences. Clicking (tapping) works great. But not sure how to drag.

Thanks,
    ivnj

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

11. macsforme macrumors member

This feature has been in all OS's for all Apple notebooks for as long as I can remember (back to the PowerBook 500 series, even).

12. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I can't get the iSight to work while running Vista, it works fine when I had Windows XP.

13. jon4lakers macrumors regular

A c2d Macbook (not pro) with 2 gigs of Ram will be able to run any version of vista with aero without any hiccups? (in bootcamp?)

14. JJsBlackMacbook macrumors newbie

I Cant get the 3D glass to work on my macbook 13 2.0 2gb, i had Vista Ultimate installed and my mac completely went crazy, the fan was loud as hell, but performance in general was good. Good to mention that I ran parallels and dedicated 1gb to the vista portion.

15. jon4lakers macrumors regular

Whats 3d glass?

(please excuse my ignorance....)

16. JJsBlackMacbook macrumors newbie

no its ok, no worries. 3d glass is that "Sophisticated" feature of vista that lets you browse all your windows in a row while it flips from one to another. to be more specific here it is[​IMG]

17. jon4lakers macrumors regular

JJ,

Thanks for that pic! So 3d glass wont work on the MB? Im torn between the MB and MBP but i want to have vista on bootcamp....

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Vista and aero work fine on any C2D 2.0Ghz Macbook with 2GB RAM.

I have a black one and it has no problems.Other than the iSight not working.I'm guessing Apple will come out with an update to Bootcamp that will fix that.Microsoft sure won't.

19. jon4lakers macrumors regular

Thanks, I feel better knowing that. Vista not working was almost a deal breaker!

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Vista runs fine on my CD Macbook 2.0 with 1 GB of RAM with all the fancy Aero effects and that.

Any macbook can handle it. Although it might need 1GB of RAM.

21. asnozz macrumors member

asnozz

well my isight works fine on my C2D blackbook under Vista (86x), maybe you havent installed the correct driver? I always have network problems under vista though, it only sometimes works.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Aero requires a minimum of an Intel 950 and 1Gigs RAM...

23. derekg612 macrumors newbie

i'm running vista on my 2.16 Ghz MB with 2 GB of ram and i got the iSight to work fine... the only problems i have are the clicking by trackpad and the cpu temperature.

I've been monitoring idle temps under os x and vista and i see that vista runs at about 10 degrees Celsius hotter. right now it's at 66 degrees and i just have firefox open. i've never once heard a fan turn on, so i'm VERY worried about that. i hope they release some type of update that allows fan control in windows.

Anyway, i'd like to know i'm not the only one running vista who's computer seems to be on fire ;) let me know what temps you get on average.

24. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Aero doesn't work in Parallels, just through Boot Camp.