Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I just got the 64 bits vista and I'm looking to install it on my 24" C2D iMac. A few questions:

1- Is 64 bits ok? Should I get the 32 bits version instead?
2- Is there any incompatibility with the iMac hardware?
3- To install, can I just boot on Windows and restart to boot from the Vista CD? When I try to use Boot Camp it just seems to restart to XP.
4- Can I delete the XP partition first using the Vista installer? I'd do that with BootCamp, but last time I tried that I couldn't create the partition again, something about the HD being fragmented. Does the new version fix that?

Thanks

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I just got the 64 bits vista and I'm looking to install it on my 24" C2D iMac. A few questions:

1- Is 64 bits ok? Should I get the 32 bits version instead?
2- Is there any incompatibility with the iMac hardware?
3- To install, can I just boot on Windows and restart to boot from the Vista CD? When I try to use Boot Camp it just seems to restart to XP.
4- Can I delete the XP partition first using the Vista installer? I'd do that with BootCamp, but last time I tried that I couldn't create the partition again, something about the HD being fragmented. Does the new version fix that?

Thanks

1. 64 bit will work. You may have issues finding drivers for certain peripherals though if they're not from mainstream manufacturers. 64-bit drivers are different from 32-bit ones.
2. Not that I know of. I have Vista on my MacBook and am going to install it on my iMac soon. It works fine.
3. It doesn't matter which OS you reboot from. What does matter is that you hold down the Option key when the machine first starts...if the Vista DVD is in the drive, then you will have the option of selecting it. You will have to hold down the option key and select the Windows drive after the setup program needs to reboot as well, or else you're going to boot into OS X. You can set your Mac to boot into Windows by default, but that's like defiling it.
4. You can format the XP partition from within the Vista installer. No need to delete it and recreate it.

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
1. 64 bit will work. You may have issues finding drivers for certain peripherals though if they're not from mainstream manufacturers. 64-bit drivers are different from 32-bit ones.
2. Not that I know of. I have Vista on my MacBook and am going to install it on my iMac soon. It works fine.
3. It doesn't matter which OS you reboot from. What does matter is that you hold down the Option key when the machine first starts...if the Vista DVD is in the drive, then you will have the option of selecting it. You will have to hold down the option key and select the Windows drive after the setup program needs to reboot as well, or else you're going to boot into OS X. You can set your Mac to boot into Windows by default, but that's like defiling it.
4. You can format the XP partition from within the Vista installer. No need to delete it and recreate it.

Perfect, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.