Vista on new MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InkMaster, Oct 18, 2008.

1. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Heres a question for all you new MBP owners; hows Vista running on them this time around? In the sense of generated heat.

What I mean is my current, 17" MBP (2.33GHz, ATI X1600 etc) - in OS X runs perfect, the moment I boot into Vista the fans don't even drop below 3000 RPM and the moment I even open a browser they kick in at full 6000 RPM... And that is as you might image... annoying, sitting next to a jet engine for hours each day...

So I just wanted to find out if Vista ran any cooler on the new MBPs...

Thanks

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

I heard that the Boot Camp drivers are not working on the new MB/MBP for some people, so it maybe that something's wrong with the graphics driver, resulting in the fan issue.

3. pufftissue macrumors regular

Well, PC Mag stated that in Vista the new MBP ran hot and the battery died in 2 hours flat!

Not good at all.

4. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, to be honest, the old MacBook Pros died just as fast w/ Vista... Especially when you have Aero on etc - dies in way under 2 hours...

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

not many computers last long with vista at the helm..

6. akashhhhh macrumors member

Hi folks,

I got the new MBP 2.53 and installed Vista 32 on it.

It seems to be running beautifully. One issue I was having was that 2-finger for right click wasn't working but three-finger click does it flawlessly...so that worked out easily.

I'm getting freezes every now and then, which is far more annoying. I'm troubleshooting to get to the root of the problem but I'm assuming it's gonna take some patches and updates before they're gone entirely.

those are the only issues so far. I'm using the machine for Vista about 2/3 of the time and OSX 1/3. So, yeah, I'm loving it so far.

Can anyone tell me, what are the benefits of 32 vs. 64 Vista on this machine?

7. Lostatsea3 macrumors member

The only real benefit is if you have 4gb or more of RAM...

8. Red-red macrumors 6502

I would feel like I was injecting Jesus with the plague.

Surely you can download software or use in the inbuilt software to get better battery life out of vista?

9. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well... you can of course disable most everything that is Vista and get an extra hour of battery life, but at that point would it not be more logical to use XP? I mean however you spin it, Vista is a battery hungry resource hog. I mean the experience on desktop computers is pretty darn good, but on laptops... its mediocre at best :(