Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There's nothing wrong with using a Mac for Windows only.Apple makes the best system.It's a natural.I would suggest leaving OSX on it though because the EFI will be needed for future updates and Leopard will be out soon so you never know how Apple will impliment the EFI.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
like others have pointed out, i'd keep OS X for firmware updates and such.

also, i'm not sure if i'd pick vista as the one and only OS when you actually have the opportunity to use OS X. vista can get very needy and at times i find myself pampering the OS than actually using it.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
C'mon guys. I have a MacBook Pro 17. Had it for 12 months now. I purchased because the hardware reliability is excellent on all the reviews, and I wanted strong reliable kit.

I love the hardware, but cannot get on with Mac OS. I only boot into the MAC OS for bootcamp upgrades.

Steve Jobs got most of my cash and Bill Gates got a little bit. I have too many Windows programmes that I cannot be bothered to track down in Apple format and because I work on website development it is more important that I spot possible errors instantly for the 95% of website viewers that are using Explorer.

It does you guys no favours to always moan on about MAC OS is better, especially in this part of the forum. Thou doth protest too much.

i'm not sure how to describe what you have posted - silly, ignorant, misinformed, or...?

sorry if i sound rude. but i'm just amazed by your post, especially if you work on web development.

btw, since when IE has 95% of usage share?

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
i'm not sure how to describe what you have posted - silly, ignorant, misinformed, or...?

sorry if i sound rude. but i'm just amazed by your post, especially if you work on web development.

btw, since when IE has 95% of usage share?

and last i checked i have ie 4, 5, 6 and 7 running on my mac without windows. That plus Opera, Firefox 1 and 2 both windows and mac versions and i also run safari 2. That pretty much covers the cross platform web designer can't do that in windows. Oh and IE 6 is 30% of my sites traffic, IE 7 is 5% the rest is firefox and 15% is shared between Safari, Opera and Older IE and netscape browsers.

applecow

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Is it possible to run OSX on the original machine and boot Vista from an external hdd? Like many other people have said, it is best to keep at least some of OSX on there just for updates and such.

And fwiw, im sure there are a ton of web development software out there for the mac.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
and last i checked i have ie 4, 5, 6 and 7 running on my mac without windows. That plus Opera, Firefox 1 and 2 both windows and mac versions and i also run safari 2. That pretty much covers the cross platform web designer can't do that in windows. Oh and IE 6 is 30% of my sites traffic, IE 7 is 5% the rest is firefox and 15% is shared between Safari, Opera and Older IE and netscape browsers.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on browser statistics. It lists the percentages from different sources (in 2007), and there's quite a variance. Although your statistics resemble nothing like anything I've seen. Perhaps it's the type of site you run?

The statistic range presented by a host of different sites is as follows:

IE: 77.34 - 85.81%
Mozilla/Firefox: 11.69 - 14.34%
Safari: 1.64 - 4.68%

The rest was scattered amongst Opera and old browsers.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California

wait how did you get cross over office(that what I am assuming you are using) to run IE7 without the genuine activation error?

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
if you must do this, i suggest partitioning down Mac OS to 7 GB and give vista the rest. the reason for this is for updates on bootcamp or the hardware.

i hope your happy with your choice :(

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
C'mon guys. I have a MacBook Pro 17. Had it for 12 months now. I purchased because the hardware reliability is excellent on all the reviews, and I wanted strong reliable kit.

I love the hardware, but cannot get on with Mac OS. I only boot into the MAC OS for bootcamp upgrades.

Steve Jobs got most of my cash and Bill Gates got a little bit. I have too many Windows programmes that I cannot be bothered to track down in Apple format and because I work on website development it is more important that I spot possible errors instantly for the 95% of website viewers that are using Explorer.

It does you guys no favours to always moan on about MAC OS is better, especially in this part of the forum. Thou doth protest too much.

Mac OS X, not Mac OS, there is big a difference.

No one is "moaning", but everyone with any sort of knowledge can clearly see Mac OS X is architectually and technically superior.

Your arguement is that there are more programs available for Windows. Yes, that is true, but it does not make it a good OS.

Unless you are using Visual Studio ASP/.NET, Mac OS X is a compeling platform for web development, especially with parellels.

You do come across a little ignorant.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Is it possible to run OSX on the original machine and boot Vista from an external hdd? Like many other people have said, it is best to keep at least some of OSX on there just for updates and such.

Unfortunately Windows is designed to not be able to boot from any external media, unlike OS X, Linux or most other modern OSes. (It unloads and reloads the USB stack during boot).

There are hacks for booting XP on an external, but you can still achieve a similar effect by putting OS X on the external, which'll boot and work fine.

B

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Unfortunately Windows is designed to not be able to boot from any external media, unlike OS X, Linux or most other modern OSes. (It unloads and reloads the USB stack during boot).

There are hacks for booting XP on an external, but you can still achieve a similar effect by putting OS X on the external, which'll boot and work fine.

B
I wonder why my USB drives keep coming up in the Windows installer then...

And the option to boot via USB in the BIOS...

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007

B

You can boot windows from an external.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If you do manage to get OSX clean off the iMac, install OSX onto a USB/Firewire drive. I'm thinking about installing a little Linux OS onto my old iPod so I'll basically have a portable computer on me old iPod :)

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007

How do you accomplish this? I am considering a MacPro for development purposes and this would be perfect to have all these browsers to test against!

Thanks,
Cliff.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
For the record, I suggest keeing OS X on there for 2 reasons.

1) If you have hardware issues with it. It's unlikely that the AppleCare people will do much with it when it only has Vista on it.

2) If BootCamp or Leopard gets new drivers for the Windows, you won't have any way of getting them without using someone else's Mac.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
How do you accomplish this? I am considering a MacPro for development purposes and this would be perfect to have all these browsers to test against!

Thanks,
Cliff.
just use crossover office and have each browser in a diffrent bottle, i even have 4 versions of ie6 with diffrent plugins and security settings and one with stock settings since it only takes up 50 MB or so for the install i dont see why not.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I wonder why my USB drives keep coming up in the Windows installer then...

And the option to boot via USB in the BIOS...

You can boot windows from an external.

Quick! Someone tell Microsoft. :p

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usbfaq.mspx

Q: Can a USB storage device be the primary (and only) means of storage?
No. USB-based mass storage devices cannot be the primary hard disk storage solution on a regular system (Microsoft Windows Logo Program System and Device Requirements, B10.1.5.6). However, these devices might be expected to be a replacement for booting to load an operating system (for example using a CD-ROM drive over USB) on the primary boot drive or as a replacement for legacy floppy disk drives. Booting from an external USB CD-ROM or USB floppy disk drive requires BIOS support.

If your internal HDD is not NTFS or FAT32 you're SOL, unless your BIOS is making the external drive look like a slow internal through int13 emulation.

B

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You do web dev on Vista? I hope you're running IE 6 too, because it's the most popular browser. You do know IE 7 is a little different right? Why you wouldn't use PS with one of the top Mac web dev apps, along with Parallels and/or VMWare for testing IE 6, 7, and FireFox for Windows, along with Safari and others on the Mac, I don't understand. I mean, your choice... but really? You know, Leopard is coming out soon. Should have some pretty colors like Vista too.

Sorry, but if someone wanted to do web dev and testing on a Vista machine where I work, they'd be laughed out of the building.

mirunit

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
You do web dev on Vista? I hope you're running IE 6 too, because it's the most popular browser. You do know IE 7 is a little different right? Why you wouldn't use PS with one of the top Mac web dev apps, along with Parallels and/or VMWare for testing IE 6, 7, and FireFox for Windows, along with Safari and others on the Mac, I don't understand. I mean, your choice... but really? You know, Leopard is coming out soon. Should have some pretty colors like Vista too.

Sorry, but if someone wanted to do web dev and testing on a Vista machine where I work, they'd be laughed out of the building.

IE7 is really not that different. I would guess you have never done web development before.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
And not respecting somebodys opinions or choice isnt ? :confused:

Not when that opnion is:

"I haven't given Mac OS X a fair go, despite the array of quality tools and technologies for web development available on the platform (as I can't be bothered to ask/look for them)"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.