Vista only or Linux only on Mac Alu.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kenn macrumors member

Is it possible to install (from a Vista or Linux install DVD/CD) Vista or Linux on a MacBook aluminium without a Mac OS pre-installed? I ask because of the new processor installed in MacBook Aluminium.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think so

i had vista installed as the only os on my pc but on my old mb hard drive. then my upgraded hd died so i put the old mb hd with soley vista on it in and it wouldnt work

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. You can get rid of OS X, but if you're going to do that, I'm going to tell you right now: Don't waste your money on a Mac. What's the point.

4. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Vista/XP and most Linux distros will run perfectly fine as the only operating system on an Intel Mac. Put the CD in, hold down the option key to boot from CD, and install just like you would on any other computer.

5. omgshesaboy macrumors member

omgshesaboy

IMO the macboook pro is by far the sexiest laptop ever invented. That in itself is reason enough for me to buy one.

6. kenn thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good to me. Just a few clarifying questions to make sure I don't skrew up. 1) Do one have to prepare the harddisk or will the Vista or Linux distribution take care of that? 2) If there already is Mac OS installed, will that be wiped out by the Vista or Linux install CD? 3) Is there a Linux distribution ready to deal with the new hardware in Mac Alu 2008? Can you recommend anyone Linux distr. in particular?

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

and OSX is even more so why getting rid of it. OSX is a unix so i really dont see a reason to installing Linux. Plus there are a lot of ports from linux to OSX. ;)

But I guess the OP has his own reasons ... I'd be interested in hearing then though.

Tex

8. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

A linux install CD would be able to read, re-partition, and reformat the drive itself. If your going to install Windows, you'd want to boot off of the Mac OS Install CD first and repartition the drive so Windows Setup will be able to recognize and alter the hard drive. (boot from Mac Install CD as if your going to install OSX, open disk utility from the options menu, repartition the drive without GUID or Apple partition types - will be in the options menu under the partition drive tab)

As for your other questions, loading Windows or Linux will not necessarily wipe out your OSX partition, but depends completely on how you partition the drive. If you wipe out every partition with Disk Utility, Mac OS would be gone entirely.

There are many good Linux distros that will run on the new MBPs. I would suggest starting with Ubuntu personally, its simple, easy to install, and has a big support forum if you'd need help. Of course, there are many other great linux distros you could try as well. (Mandriva, Suse, Redhat/Fedora, etc)

9. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Mac OSX is a great platform, but it's not the only option for many people.

I have a VPN for work that will only function with Windows XP. Theres also the standard argument for games that only run on Windows.

As for Linux, most distros are free/open source, and are very robust and polished. Ubuntu in particular has a great system for updating and installing new software packages, and has great support forums which will help you tailor the operating system to fit just about any need. Just to name one Linux feature, check out Beryl & Compiz.. talk about some crazy things you can do with your desktop.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IF you get rid of OS X you can't run the the DVD again after installation in the event that you need to run the recovery DVD.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need OSX for firmware updates. In addition, OSX is better for most users, as it won't slow down inexplicable which is a signature of MS windows.

Unfortunately that is not true. Booting to DVD, USB drives, USB thumb disks, Firewire drives is supported at the firmware level. You can boot up OSX install disk even if there is NO harddrive or no OSX installed.

12. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Why would you buy a Mac and then destroy it by putting windows only on it? Might as well just get a dell or HP. Save alot of money.

13. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Apple computers have a fit and finish most PC manufacturers don't have, and generally speaking, Apple tends to use better quality components than most other manufacturers. OSX isn't the only reason people migrate to macs..

Why do you care what operating system, or software he "ruins" his computer with. Some people are much more comfortable & efficient with other operating systems.

14. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Blah blah blah! Thunder sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I never get this. So many people harp on the fact that Macintosh computers are "OVERPRICED" and you can get so much more from a Windows PC for a lot less. Then you see people like the OP that are willing to throw away money on Apple's "OVERPRICED" and underspec'd hardware and put forth more cash to install Windows, let alone Apple won't support the machine with Windows only installed on it. Again, I never get this. :rolleyes:

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's such BS, Apple does not use components any better in quality than any other typical common PC company. You're paying a high premium for looks and lower specs, in other words, your paying for form over function. If the OP wants to waste his money on Apple, so be it.

17. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

TY HLDan. +1

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

What? Yes they will. They will support the hardware just like if it had OS X, OS X/Win, or just Win on it. If the OP needs OS Support he can go to MS like the rest of us.

OP, don't mind all the hate. These very same people who are complaining that Apples cost too much (on an apple forum, go figure) have justified the higher price tag by touting OS X's self proclaimed superiority. Sheesh.
    I don't think there are that many machines built from a single peice of aluminum with a glass trackpad and screen.

19. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Dell is supposed to introduce their "Adamo" line which is supposed to be really nice as far as craftsmanship goes.

20. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Funny how off topic this thread has gotten.. and how many Apple haters waste their time trolling a MACrumors forum.

21. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yes I understand. I also use Ubuntu at work and it's a great platform and I think that there is none which is better than an another one. I just think that the OP should at least give it a try :)

He's free to do it. Btw, I think we should stop this discussion cos the OP didn't asked us about our opinion, he just wants to know if it's possible :)

cheers,
    Tex

22. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

and mac lovers as well :)

23. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Just for the sake of argument, Samsung and Micron memory is the same as Hynix? (only memory Dell uses) And GDDR2 video memory found paired with most Dell & HP machines, is the same as GDDR3 which apple uses? In some aspects you are right, Apple does at times focus on form over function, but they DO tend to use better quality/higher end components.

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oh, I'm an Apple hater?? Have you taken a good look at my avatar? Being honest about putting a lot of money towards something the OP won't even use when he can get something for less money that he WILL use is fair enough for me to offer, but it doesn't make me an Apple hater.

25. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Robust, yes. Polished? Yes, but not as polished as OS X. Apple is almost without peer for user interface and user experience.

The Mac is still arguably better.
    Drag and drop, most apps run straight off a disk image.
    Due to the .app packages, the files are far better encapsulated for a single application. You don't need to worry about package conflicts for example.
    Sparkle is a great system for keeping stuff up-to-date and Omni and other vendors have their own versions.

The same could be said about the Mac.

I'm not trying to knock Ubuntu, but I fail to see how many of the advantages you have mentioned don't count equally for Mac OS X.

One advantage is that it will run on more hardware, but if someone is choosing a Mac anyway then…