Vista or XP form gaming 2007 Imac ATI 2600

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dorfdad, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Im looking to play games on the bootcamp machine so im not sure which OS is better for gaming right now on my 2006 iMac 4 gigs of ram with the ATI 2600 256 Video card.

The question is XP uses less ram but can see less ram. Vista can see I believe 512mb more of ram 3.5 but its os uses more resources as well. so is that a moot point?

I'm playing Warhammer Online and a few other RPG type games. Which would be better for framerates and graphics!?

Someone said Vista 64 would be best as it will see all the ram, but from everything Ive read vista 64 wont run on this iMAC (32bit will) as Apple decided not to support it for the older ATI macs.. If anyone knows this to be untrue and knows a way to do it please let me know. I would prefer vista 64 but I can not find the drivers for this imac in bootcamp at all.

Thanks in advance..

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would opt for XP for the time being. Mainly because the 2600 is not a very powerful card. The added eye candy with DirectX 10 will force you to lower the resolution or reduce AA.

While using XP and DX9 you should be able to hit a little bit higher resolution or AA. I personally prefer finer detail over nicer shaders and other minor visuals. Plus you have more support for older XP games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic the best game ever:cool:.