vista or xp on my macbookpro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azngamer808, Feb 26, 2008.

1. azngamer808 macrumors member

the ONLY reason that i want to install windows is to play games (cus there's so much more selection and prices are generally cheaper). Should i get vista or xp? i'm confused because there's so many people complaining about vista but at the same time there's so many people saying vista isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Go for XP Pro if you just want to play games - Vista is not bad but games still run better on XP. If you want to use it day to day for things other than games I would suggest Vista.

3. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

If you're planning to play old games and/or seek the most compatibility, than choose XP hands down. If you plan to ONLY play the latest and greatest, than Vista might be better because of DX10 (on games where DX10 makes a difference anyways). If you don't care about the things that were added in DX10 that makes some games look better, than XP will save you a lot of headaches.

Also note that the XP size is about 1/5 that of the Vista size, so if you do choose Vista, you are going to have to allocate a lot more space.

4. Pees330 macrumors 6502

Go for XP for gaming because there are still some compatibility issues with Vista. Some of the drivers are not totally up to par yet.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I chose Vista simply because I'm stick of looking at XP's fugly interface. But I can tell on my home built gaming rig, I have nothing but troubles with Vista and it's lack of drivers. It's been out for 17 months and there are still major companies that haven't released decent drivers for it? My Soundblaster card bluescreens me. WTF is that all about?

That being said, the DX10 issues is a non-issue if you don't have a DX10 video card. :)

6. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The GeForce 8600M GT was a DX10 video card the last time I checked... maybe I misread somewhere.

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i ran both with boot camp... evenutally ditched xp pro for vista ultimate and installed xp pro as a vm only... haven't used xp in 3 months

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm sure you didn't. Of course, we don't know that the user is getting a new MBP. Could have an old one like me with an X1600.

10. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Ahh good point :]

11. modesty macrumors member

as much as i hate to jump on the dis vista bandwagon, i think the only time id pick vista over xp is if it was the primary os, you were using it for stuff other than gaming, and the computer had really great specs. if youre just playing games, get xp. this way you know there will be no problems, and you can always upgrade to vista since thers nothing on it but games anwayy. im in a similiar situtation, i instlaled vmware with vista. it actually runs great, but i dare not run game son it, id have to use bootcamp. i only FPS really anymore (tf2) and i play on a 32 inch lcd tv, so i dont think i could play on a laptop cause the small screen would impair my aim. id have to start on a laptop and switch up, lol

12. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

somewhat related question here...

when you install xp via parallels or fusion, is the size of the pc hard drive flexible? or do you have to allocate a set amount of space?

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

if you run windows through a VM it grows as its just like having a big file

14. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

its flexible