Vista or XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by richardcanham, Apr 8, 2007.

1. richardcanham macrumors newbie

I am now looking at perhaps getting vista seeing its the latest version of windows, will it have problems though working through parallels as its so new, is there any bugs and which is the better option?

I'm using a 1.83ghz macbook with 512mb ram so not sure to be honest if vista wouldn't over power the macbook?

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Vista breaks a lot of programs and offers no exclusive apps. With a Mac, just think of Windows as a Windows App launcher utility. Use your Mac to handle your OS needs.

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

its true, it will run better... vista might be a pain, plus I'd wait til all the kinks are worked out

5. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

Is parallels virtualization? Because if it is then microsoft said that in vista it will be illegal.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Parallels is visualisation and i think it does break the EULA on all but the Ultimate and best business models (IIRC) but they won't know and it is such a petty and stupid rule.

With only 512mb on your machine i would definitely go with XP because you will only be able to give about 300 MB of ram to the guest OS which is not very much at all, Vista would die with that amount of ram. If you want/need acceptable performance with parallels then you will need to upgrade your ram.

Ram is pretty cheap at the moment for the Macbook. Don't know the specifics of you machine but it looks like to get 2Gb of Ram it will cost you $131 from crucial.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(Emphasis mine)
    Absolutely.
    Go with XP with that much ram.
    And even if you upgrade to 1gig+ I'd still run XP.

8. nostrum macrumors member

9. stadidas macrumors regular

Go for XP. I'm running an iMac C2D 2GHz with 1GB of RAM. Vista Business runs pretty well under Bootcamp, but as another poster said, it offers no unique apps, is slower than XP, and also intermittently breaks Battlefield 1942's multiplayer games (which is mainly what I use Windows for). I currently have XP running in Parallels with no problems. I'm going to erase my Vista partition and put XP back on it. That way I can use the same XP install for Bootcamp and Parallels.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

11. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

then they are lying.
    Virtualisation can't be made illegal for OS's, only emulators for gaming consoles etc can be illegal.

12. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

...Did you not read what the others here have said? Vista needs alot of RAM, of which the OP doesn't have.

BTW, Vista is just a HUGE copy of Mac OS X. You're pretty ignorant if you think it's better than OS X. Vista has no original ideas AT ALL.

Yes. Parallels is virtualization.

Below is an article about why MS is banning virtualization of Home Editions of Vista.

How I love Google...

http://www.betanews.com/article/Mic...dered_Banning_Vista_Virtualization/1172269896

13. ecksmen macrumors member

Anyone who says one operating system is the best, is showing their ignorance. No one operating system can be the best, it all depends on what you plan on doing with it, for instance OS X isn't my platform of choice for Gaming, but it is for day to day internet / publishing.

If you think that all of Apples ideas, are Apples own unique ideas then you are extremely ignorant. However I'm not saying Vista hasn't got similarities to OS X.

14. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

...I never said that one OS was better than another... I merely was stating that XP would run better than Vista on his hardware and that OS X is better than XP (not the best). Yes, not all of Apple's ideas are original, but that doesn't give the right for other companies to copy it.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Parallels does not support 3D, so no games there...

16. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I have Vista, it destroys ALL my games and makes them yucky

17. lesbarn macrumors member

Vista On A MacBook vs XP

I have been using Vista Business on a MacBook 13" 1.83GHz for three weeks. It was very slow with 512MB of RAM. I upgraded to 2GB and it runs much better. Vista was very difficult before the latest boot camp drivers (1.2) It is still not perfect, but it does work better. I have issues of waking up from sleeping and loosing USB and wireless networking. If I had to choose I like Vista better because it looks more like the Mac OS.
    At the school I work, we have been running boot camp with XP on 48 machines. It has been working well since the beginning in early June. I have had a few Winodws installs go bad, but other than that it works well. The only issue I have had, and this could be my own misunderstanding, is keyboard layout and right clicking. In Windows, it is much easier to use a two button mouse and a Windows keyboard.
    My overall opinion would be XP is very stable, but Vista looks better. The only down side for Vista is the RAM requirement and the current issues, but I am sure the issues will be fixed soon.

18. AVID macrumors member

AVID

i have the same dilemma, am just trying to buy a xp, but all the stores are stacked up with vista. Need it quite urgently hence havent checked the internet... (which would take 2-4 days shipment)

19. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I got myself Home Basic a few days ago for my games and it works pretty well, except for the fact that once in a while the sound stutters, even during video playback. That could just be faulty Boot Camp drivers, because otherwise the system is pretty slick.

Too bad they didn't make the system easier to configure: you're still going to have to dig deep into the Control Panel to find what you want.

20. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Which Intel Mac are you running it on, and what're the specs?

21. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I also got stuttered sound although with Warcraft 3 on Vista.