Vista Partition Enough?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SgtDuty, May 19, 2008.

1. SgtDuty macrumors member

I very recently installed Vista using Boot Camp, Parallels and VMware on my MBP. I set the partition to 20 gb, and I currently have 10 gb free after the install. I didn't enter my license number yet, because I wanted to be sure it was enough space. My question is 10 gb, enough to install games, such as the Orange Box or Crysis, over time I might install up to 10 games, and very few programs. Would this be enough space to do so? Also as far as Vista licenses, are they regestered to your computer, so if I decided to change later on I could, or if the partition is deleted, a new operating system must be purchased. In addition, does Time Machine back up the partitions, so if a computer crashed, the OS could be used again, Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

20GB sounds low. Most games are 2-6GB each now. AFAIK, the license can be reused on another machine as long as you remove it from the previous one. You may have to make a call to MS to get it reactivated. Use Winclone to back up your Vista partition.

Just a word of caution. Parallels and VMware have been shown to be problematic when they both share the same bootcamp partition.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

20gb partition is way too low even for xp.

Orange box is 2 DVDs. Most modern games take up GBs of space, so you need way more space than that. Assume 4gb per game.

I have about 2GB of custom maps (auto-downloaded from servers) from TF2 alone.

4. yaz macrumors newbie

Im on a MBP and made my partition 40Gb. After installing Crysis CoD 4 and The Witcher i'm now gettin low space warnings so my advice is make yours bigger.

5. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

Would the recomended 32 gb be a good amount? And to go about it, I would just delete the partition, and the make a new one and install Vista again, also Parallels and VMware, I used to figure out which one I liked, I already deleted VMware.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would allocate at least 50GB if you can spare it.

7. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't use it very much, and I only have 115 gb free, before any partitions. Also can anyone recomend any free games?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Allocate what you can and then prepare to do some housekeeping. You may want to think about getting a bigger drive.

9. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

I reinstalled, and made the partition 32 gb roughly 22 gb free, will this be enough for Orange Box, and Crysis, which are the two games I will be definitely getting?

10. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone give me a estimate on the space that these games require, note that I will be using the disc, not steam for Orange Box.

11. TSE macrumors 68030

I would definitely make the partition atleast 50 gbs. I made my partition for Windows Vista Home Premium 80 GBs, but of course I have a bigger hard drive. Vista takes up a lot of space, doesn't delete the unused caches etc. as well as Mac OS X so therefore doesn't get rid of as much junk automatically.

If I were you, I would get a bigger hard drive if you really need it.