Vista Product Key Expired.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Modified!, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Modified! macrumors newbie

Hello,

My Windows Vista Home Premium product key recently expired. I'm running Vista through my Macbook's Bootcamp Partition, and here is my question. Can I re-install Vista without losing all of my data? I can't seem find a valid product key, so I want to re-install Vista but I don't want to lose all of my data. Any ideas?

2. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Buy a copy of Vista or Windows 7...

You *can* re-install Vista but not in the same VM and yes you will lose everything. You could back up the Vista information and do a restore but it might invalidate the EULA key again.

Windows 7 isn't that bad. For a primitive operating system...

3. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

They expire? I just recently used a 4 year old XP product key to install Windows on my iMac.

4. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

5. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

Agreed. There is NO expiration date on any LEGIT copy/key of software. It can be old and no longer supported but it will ALWAYS install. Sounds fishy to me. :eek:

6. Modified! thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not from a burned disk, I used a re-installation CD that came with my PC, but the product key won't work. Ugh! I guess that leads me to one choice: Install Vista again and try to backup everything. Bleh...