Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Hey there. I downloaded the Vista Beta 2 a while ago, and never installed it. I'm trying to install it right now but I have no idea what my product key is. Does anyone either know how to retrieve this information or would someone let me use their product key (they're good for 10 activations)? Thanks

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
I'm not a mod or anything, but the talk of product keys, weither they be for beta software or not, is usually frowned upon on forums such as these. But i'm sure if you do some research though there are official channels to which one can obtain said key.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
gothicx00 said:
I'm not a mod or anything, but the talk of product keys, weither they be for beta software or not, is usually frowned upon on forums such as these. But i'm sure if you do some research though there are official channels to which one can obtain said key.

The product key for Vista beta 2 was publicly distributed. When you signed in for a download, MS gave you a key (valid for a single year). I think the original poster is referring to this key, not an illegal one, just a temporary key

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Yes, I was given the key when I downloaded it, but I guess I just didn't bother saving it/writing it down.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I looked through Microsofts site (very confusing btw) and they no longer have any of the beta pages open or avail. They claim they've reached their maximum.

Sorry, but unless you contact Microsoft ($78 a min.) and ask them, you're SOL.

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Cuckoo said:
The product key for Vista beta 2 was publicly distributed.

I realize this, but I was still stating it so that somebody had stated it. Rule #3 of things not to do on the MacRumors forums is as follows:

Warez/Serials/Keys - posts that give software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific software or websites whose purpose is for breaking software licensing methods, obtaining or using commercial software in violation of its license, and/or for copyright violation.

Weither or not a key is for beta software is not at question. To me the part about "breaking software licensing methods" still would stand. If you didn't get one to begin with you are SOL and asking for one on the forums is still, albeit good natured, against the rules. If one were to bend the rules in this case, it techinically undermines the integrity of the rule it self.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
gothicx00 said:
I realize this, but I was still stating it so that somebody had stated it. Rule #3 of things not to do on the MacRumors forums is as follows:

Weither or not a key is for beta software is not at question. To me the part about "breaking software licensing methods" still would stand. If you didn't get one to begin with you are SOL and asking for one on the forums is still, albeit good natured, against the rules. If one were to bend the rules in this case, it techinically undermines the integrity of the rule it self.

You've been here for 3 days, what do you know about this sites rules? :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
gothicx00 said:
To me the part about "breaking software licensing methods" still would stand. If you didn't get one to begin with you are SOL and asking for one on the forums is still, albeit good natured, against the rules.

The original poster *did* get one but has lost it. I don't have a problem with this.

To the OP: I'm pretty sure a copy of the key would've been emailed to you. Take a look through your email and see whether you can find one :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
killuminati said:
You've been here for 3 days, what do you know about this sites rules? :confused:
Obviously quite a bit more than some (including me until I was forced to read them). He knew where to go, what to quote, and even prefaced it with "i'm not a mod." Give the kid a break, he was only trying to help. You've been here for a very long time, it should be a breath of fresh air to see an intelligent response such as his instead of the typical flame fest that occurs when someone asks for a key--legit or not.

To the OP, sorry for crapping on your thread. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.