Vista woes - another reason I love OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by uberamd, Jul 22, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

So I decided that I wanted to put Windows Vista on my MacBook Pro so I can load up some games. I have used Vista before, but lots of people here have been saying its better now so why not give it another shot? I have Vista Ultimate original retail (legit copy, cost me $7 from my university) so I threw the disk in and started installing. It installed fast enough, then came updates. No joke, I have been installing updates for over 6 hours straight and I am FINALLY getting to the Service Pack 2 installation. My system has rebooted 12 times in the process so far. This is all using Windows Update.

Microsoft, really? Are you REALLY forcing users to install 6+ hours worth of updates consisting of over 12 reboots? Why can't you take a page out of OS X and just release 1 huge combo update. This is pathetic.

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Wtf are you talking about... OS x does the same thing is not worse. You could have just download SP2 off the microsoft website and have it do everything. The windows update gives users the options to give them the latest updates up to sp2 just in case they do not want to install sp2 for whatever reason.

3. StanD macrumors member

Hmm,

Looks like an example of install amnesia. I guess your MBP never had to patch? How about those of us who used OS X since 10.5? Imagine all of the reboots they had to go through to update. It is a nicety of Apple to release combo updates which admittedly MS should do more often.

If you install a fresh copy of any recent OS it is going to patch. If your internet connection is slow or whatnot then it will indeed take awhile.

Before you post Mac and try and bash me you can use MRoogle and see that yes I do own a Mac, use Vista (and now Win 7 too).

Sorry, that irked me...

- Stan

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, OS X does not do the same thing. If I was to reinstall 10.5.0 just now and went to software update, I would have ONE combo update to 10.5.7. There would then be a couple (yes around 2) security updates and perhaps some Java, firmware, iLife etc.

On the other hand, I have seen around 10-40 in Windows update when doing the same task. Windows Update is one of the aspects of that particular OS that I, and many others, loathe the most. It is a piece of junk.

Never, ever in over 10 years being a Mac user have I experienced anything like the number of updates you get on a fresh install of Windows.

Not only that, downloads from Software Update in OS X are significantly faster than those in Windows Update. As for your point about going to the Microsoft download site to get updates manually - no thanks. I shouldn't have to.

5. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

When you do a fresh install of 10.5, it downloads a combo update containing the latest version of OS X. A single reboot for that. Vista's Windows Update doesn't even list SP1 until you install 4 reboot's worth of other updates, THEN SP1 becomes an option. A few reboots and updates later, SP2 becomes an option. OS X does NOT do that.

Yeah, if you started at 10.5 like I did, there are a lot of reboots, SPREAD over time! If you do a fresh install TODAY, Apple Update gives you the 10.5.7 combo, and whatever else. As I said, Vista doesn't even present the user with SP1 or SP2 until you install a myriad of other updates. Don't deny that, I JUST DID IT. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I installed fresh OS X 10.5 on a different system, 3 reboots. It took maybe 1.5 hours.

And internet speed? Don't make me laugh:

[​IMG]

Thank you. Updates should be delivered to me via Windows Update. I shouldn't need to go to Microsoft.com to download the Service Packs. Even Microsoft says not to do that unless you are an IT professional.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

OP I am completely with you. Not sure where all these people think OSX does the same thing because it absolutely does not.

Vista is complete trash. People can love it all they want but even MS has said it itself. Not to mention the huge rejection from the business world when it comes to Vista. My workplace alone downgraded thousands and thousands of computers back to XP because Vista was unusable.

I heard the same "Its better now since the service pack" but like you I installed again and ran into the same garbage.

Sorry MS, better luck with Windows 7. The only reason I like Vista is because it introduced me to Mac :D

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Vista works only if you know what you're doing and how to "tame" it for want of a better word. Like countless others, I'm doing a Boot Camp setup with Windows 7, which seems much better. Hopefully this won't be the infamous Longhorn -> Vista switch they did.

Anyway, when I installed Vista, I was swamped with updates too. I think it took like 2-3GB of space after it finished installing, but that was like over a 1 year ago, so more updates would have been released.

8. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

I was using Windows 7, but I don't want to get everything setup then have to re-do it all once the full Win 7 is released.

9. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

By the way the OP is correct you cannot just go to SP2 from a fresh install of vista. SP2 requires SP1 to install. LOL I s*&T you not.

10. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Just thought I would update this, after I got all the updates, etc done I installed Parallels on Mac. The first time I ran Vista from boot camp via Parallels, Vista said it needed to be activated again. Fine, I typed in my key. Now, no matter what I do, Vista keeps telling me "I may be a victim of counterfeiting", but Vista says it is activated AND genuine! What the heck. I am stuck on the black background, and getting counterfeiting messages all the time. Thanks Vista.

I have tried to change my key and reactivate and it keeps saying Successful, and that I am Genuine but the messages and background won't go away. Bah.