Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Hello,

I have the new (late 2008) MBP, and have installed vista x64 on it via bootcamp so as i can use certain programs. Problem is that it crashes alot particularly while watching movies on VLC player.

It also has problems when downloading - eg. When downloading videos from a website through firefox / IE - the download often fails to complete, whereas the same downloads will complete without problems when im in OSX !?!?

I've only installed the bootcamp drivers that came with the new MBP, version 2.1... I'm thinking these drivers are whats causing the problems with Vista x64? Could this be the issue, and if so where can i dl the drivers specific to my OS.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers!

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Is there any BSOD when it crashes? If there is, please post the error.

Please ensure that you have done the following:

Right click on "Computer" and go to "Properties." Go to "Advanced system settings" in the left pane. Under the "Advanced" tab go to "Settings..." under "Startup and Recovery." Under "System Failure," uncheck "Automatically Restart."

If you don't get a BSOD after doing that, you'll need to open the "Event Viewer." You can just type it in the Search in the start menu and it should pop up.

On the left pane, you should have "Windows Logs" and "Application and Services Logs." You don't need to check under the "Windows" folder under "Application and Services Logs."

Just look for errors. They are all time stamped. They generally have red icons besides them.

There could also be a problem with VLC. Try to make sure that you have the latest version.

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
No BSOD, it just freezes and i have to hold the power button down to turn it off.

Here is a list of the errors i get (event viewer logs), the 3 of them seem to pop up at the same time as eachother and in this order :

04:02:28
: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

04:02:40
The previous system shutdown at 1:40:29 PM on 19/11/2008 was unexpected.

04:02:42
Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

I also get the following warning messages in the event view

1.WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

2.WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

Any idea of what might be going wrong? VLC player was not even running the last time it crashed - I was just browsing on firefox :/

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
BTW i should also add that i had Vista 32bit on this mac while i was waiting for the 64bit dvd... It crashed alot with Vista 32 also.

Is this more likely to be a Vista/Bootcamp/driver issue, or could there be a problem with the actual MBP? It hasnt crashed one time in OSX but thb i don't have osx running much

cg165

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

cokedrinker said:
Hello,

I have the new (late 2008) MBP, and have installed vista x64 on it via bootcamp so as i can use certain programs. Problem is that it crashes alot particularly while watching movies on VLC player.

It also has problems when downloading - eg. When downloading videos from a website through firefox / IE - the download often fails to complete, whereas the same downloads will complete without problems when im in OSX !?!?

I've only installed the bootcamp drivers that came with the new MBP, version 2.1... I'm thinking these drivers are whats causing the problems with Vista x64? Could this be the issue, and if so where can i dl the drivers specific to my OS.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers!

I had crashing problems with vista 64 on the new
Mbp. What I did was uninstall the bootcamp nvidia driver and installed one from www.laptopvideo2go.com website. I'm thinking I got 176.54. Download the driver, then the nodded inf file. Unzip the driver to a directory, then copy the modded inf to replace the original, install, restart and hopefully all is well. Also make sure you have all the windows updates that are critical.

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
I have the exact same problem.

Using different versions of Vista 64bit.

I am pretty sure that the problem is gfx driver related.
I base this on extensive testing where i can run without freezes for days if i uninstall nvidia display drivers.

I have tried MANY drivers from laptopvideo2go.com, but yet i havent been able to find one that doesnt freeze for me.

Allso it seems that freezes (for me atleast) ocour more often if the comp has been to sleep.

I am thorough when i install/uninstall drivers. Using driver sweeper, safe mode and so on.

I don't know what to do to fix this tbh.
I am going to install XP 32bit for now and see if that helps.

Annoying thou having to run 32bit.

Btw my vista version isnt all that ehm payed for, i am beginning to think that might have something to do with it?

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Btw my vista version isnt all that ehm payed for, i am beginning to think that might have something to do with it?

No, mine is legit - I just formatted again and installed Vista 32bit, will check it out for a week or two and see if it crashes as often :/

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
No BSOD, it just freezes and i have to hold the power button down to turn it off.

Here is a list of the errors i get (event viewer logs), the 3 of them seem to pop up at the same time as eachother and in this order :

04:02:28
: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

04:02:40
The previous system shutdown at 1:40:29 PM on 19/11/2008 was unexpected.

04:02:42
Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

I also get the following warning messages in the event view

1.WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

2.WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

Any idea of what might be going wrong? VLC player was not even running the last time it crashed - I was just browsing on firefox :/

For the Kerberos, I found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949213

It said it can be safely ignored.

I would try what cg165 said with the drivers.

I think the bcmihvsrv64.dll driver is related to the wireless card, which could be a cause of your internet problems. Apple supplies the wireless drivers... so...

I actually wasn't provided with wireless drivers when I installed Vista 64-bit, so I hunted for my own.

I used these:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/143657

I had to install them through the device manager. The installer does not work. They work great on my Mid-late 2007 Macbook Pro.

The EC error could be a source of your lockups. I would try updating the video card drivers and the wireless drivers before trying to fix that issue. It may turn out to be harmless.

If it is the EC error, you're going to be reliant on Apple to get that fixed, as it looks like its a EFI problem or firmware problem.

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Cokedrinker please report back when you have tried Vista 32bit.

I have now installed XP 32bit Pro and still get lockups.
I have tried a new display driver in XP and havent had a lockup since i installed it, but its only been a few hours soo.

One thing i noticed during Vista, is that the comp never freezes if it is stressed on the GPU.
For instance many hour long gaming sessions, never froze during those.

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Actually Vista 32bit wouldn't update for me so im back on x64 :/
I'll wait it out for a while and see if it crashes as often it did, maybe some things didnt install correctly the first time around.

Toebs, it never crashed for me while gaming also... just browsing / listening to itunes, or watcing VLC player. I played Fallout 3 for approx 4 hrs without one crash

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
I think mine is fixed. My MBP havent froozen in Vista x64 for the last 20hours or so. (and it has been turned on all of the time)

I don't know exactly what did the trick, but heres what i did:

-Reinstalled Vista Ultimate x64
-First thing i installed after boot into windows was display drivers from laptopvideo2go.com (i choose176.54) (remember to put the modded inf in the folder before install) - then rebooted
-I did not install anything from the bootcamp cd (you can install the broadcom wifi driver if u need)

-Then i installed nvidia drivers from the bootcamp cd(not with autorun, but i browsed to them on the dvd). One nvidia driver i did not install was some inf file i think, it manages something with sleep mode, can't recall its name)

And now it all seems to work :)= (for now anyways, fingers crossed)

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
let us know if it remains stable toebs.... I've just installed the latest certified drivers from laptopvideo2go (180.48), and the realtek audio 2.09 driver. They are the only two changes I've made so i'll report back if that sorts it

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
let us know if it remains stable toebs.... I've just installed the latest certified drivers from laptopvideo2go (180.48), and the realtek audio 2.09 driver. They are the only two changes I've made so i'll report back if that sorts it

Mine isnt stable :/

I am working on it. I am pretty much 100% that it has to do with the display drivers. Since i cant make it crash if i uninstall them.

Allso, for me atleast, crashes happen much more often after the computer has been to sleep.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Mine isnt stable :/

I am working on it. I am pretty much 100% that it has to do with the display drivers. Since i cant make it crash if i uninstall them.

Allso, for me atleast, crashes happen much more often after the computer has been to sleep.

Try using Laptopvideo2go drivers. You may find something better.

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
THanks but i am allready.
Tried 10+ different ones from in there

lol mine has crashed again also, blah :/

I don't understand why it crashes when simply browsing, playing itunes, or watching mp4 vid on vlc.... but, when doing something taxing such as playing Fallout 3 it doesn't seem to crash

cokedrinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Are the nvidia display drivers only useful for playing games? Could i live without them? - I mean i really only need to use windows for playing online poker, and while im doing that, i like to use firefox/itunes etc. Everything else could be done in OSX i guess.
I could install/uninstall drivers for the few hours i play fallout 3

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Are the nvidia display drivers only useful for playing games? Could i live without them? - I mean i really only need to use windows for playing online poker, and while im doing that, i like to use firefox/itunes etc. Everything else could be done in OSX i guess.
I could install/uninstall drivers for the few hours i play fallout 3

With out the drivers you can't put your computer to sleep. But with the drivers it freezes so... :)

Play poker at fulltilt.com, they have a mac client :p

Well hopefully this will be resolved at some point soon.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Has ANYONE had success with Windows on these new non-Intel chipset Macbook Pros? I mean, how about with installing chipset drivers directly from Nvidia?

I was leaning towards a Macbook Pro again until I read these threads in here yesterday :(

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks...I'm wondering if anyone tried updating chipset drivers from Nvidia.

And you should be able to just install Nvidia's reference drivers without using anything from Laptopvideo 2 go.

Mixu

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for the idea, I'll try and see, if it is possible to update chipset drivers.

Okay, I admit that I didn't even try to install nvidia reference drivers, but I what I read about MacBooks 9600M videocard's driver, nvidia doesn't include this model (or any mobile videocard driver) in their .inf file. From laptopvideo 2 go, you get the reference drivers and modded inf-file that allows the installation of nvidia reference driver. Remeber, I am using laptop here.

Considering customer service, I agree, you should be able to install NVidia reference driver without any modding...

--
MBP late 2008 2,4 GHz 2 GB RAM, 256 GB VRAM

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
You can force it to install (the video driver anyway) through the device manager. Seemed to work well on a last gen Macbook Pro. It'll act like there's no driver for that hardware, but of course there is, it just doesn't tell it that in the inf file.

Lycosid

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I've got similar issues

After MUCH troubleshooting, I'm at a loss on what to do.

I have a New Gen MBP and am trying to have Vista x32 run via bootcamp. Only trouble is, the nvidia drivers cause it to crash with a bsod as soon as it loads past the log in screen. I'm sure it is the nvidia drivers, as when I uninstall the drivers using safe mode, it starts up fine (though with crappy visual performance).

Vista is fully updated, and I tried the modded drivers above with no luck. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.