Vista x64 or Vista x32-bit OEM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPECOPx, Feb 8, 2009.

1. SPECOPx macrumors newbie

I was wondering which one will work flawlessly on my unibody MBP (2.8 GHz, 250 Gb @ 7200 RPM). If both work almost flawlessly then great. I just need the OS for gaming.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Both should be fine and supporting drivers should be on your MacOSX System DVD that came with your MacBookPro. Just be sure to update the video card with the latest drivers cause the ones included could be a bit dated.

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Just a note: Some games (for some reason) despite the existens of WoW64 in Vista64, don't work with Vista64.

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I use Vista x64 and I've not had any incompatability problems with any Software or Hardware that I've used. All my games run fine and I'm a big gamer.

List of games I can recall trying on it and having no issues:
    Half Life 2 (All Episodes / Iterations)
    Counter Strike 1.6
    Counter Strike: Source
    Command and Conquer (All versions up to the latest one Red Alert 3)
    Unreal Tournament 99, 2003, 2004 and UT3 (Latest)
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Call of Duty 4 and 5
    Crysis + Expansion
    Far Cry + Far Cry 2
    Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2
    Supreme Commander + Expansion
    Oblivion
    Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andrea's and GTA4 (Latest)
    Microsoft Flight Simulator X
    SPORE
    Day of Defeat + Day of Defeat Source
    Source Forts (Mod of HL2)
    Dystopia (Mod of HL2)
    World of Warcraft + Burning Crusade + Wrath of the Lich King
    Guild Wars + All Expansions
    Americas Army
    Sim City
    The Sims + The Sims 2

Pretty much every game I've ever tried on Vista 64-bit has run fine with no issues whatsoever. I'm a big Gamer and I have lots and lots of games.

I do not recommend people to run the 32-bit version because the 64-bit includes some extra safety features like only running signed drivers, it allows you to go over the 4GB limit present in the 32-bit version (Unless you use PAE which isn't recommended). And generally I find the 64-bit version more stable.

5. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I personally have had several incompatibilities with games. Specifically, two that I remember off the top of my head are RA3, and CNC3 (if I remember correctly)

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I think those problems are probably Hardware related or specific to your system because I've not had a problem with either of those games under Vista x64 with the Rig in my Signature.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They'll both run flawlessly, and using Bootcamp Apple officially supports both, however you will experience problems if you dont update to the latest drivers every few weeks and direct x versions.

Thats the reason for most peoples issues.

8. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Have been searching for a good write-up on the gaming difference between Bootcamp and VMware. Anyone have a pointer to one? (My search skills seem to have atrophied over the past couple of weeks).

TIA! Tom B.

9. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Boot Camp owns VMWARE in gaming. First of all VMWARE is virtualization so its an abstraction layer between the hardware and the guest operating system your running within your host operating system (Windows on OS X) so the performance is lower then if you were running windows native.

VMWARE doesn't actually give Windows direct access to the GPU hardware (As it cant OS X still needs it) so instead it forwards the calls to the GPU to process but its very confined in its application and the performance is ... whilst not poor not very good. If you wanna game on your Mac you should really use Boot Camp (If you want decent / good performance) Also due to the way VMWARE has implemented GPU gaming not all games will run.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I have had NOTHING BUT driver issues with any version of windows and my unibody MBP.

This was not the case with the pre-unibody I just got rid of, that thing was flawless. I install bootcamp drivers on the unibody, and it doesnt install drivers for the "coprocessor, wifi, ethernet, and SMBUS". When I navigate through the bootcamp file structure, there is NO NVIDIA folder to install drivers manually from.

Both the DVD that came with the new Unibody, and the bootcamp apple site update do the same thing, both leave no NVIDIA drivers on the machine.

This happens for XP32, Vista64 Ult, Win7 beta. Ive even had issues with the Sound Output port going red ocassionally. This is with both drivers from the DVD, and drivers straight from realtek.

Im really stumped what to do. Im trying to just wait for SL.