Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi folks, yesterday I picked up Office 2011 for Mac and have it installed, so far so good.

However, because I've been using Excel in Mac for so long, I've become used to not having macro's in my spreadsheets.

Thinking it was going to be a breeze creating macro's, buttons etc, I set about trying to do so in a sheet I have where a macro would help me no end. It was only then did I realise that in fact my last experience with macro's was in fact in Lotus 1-2-3 back in the late 1990's!

My question is this, Visual Basic is obviously a completely different animal to that which I've used in the distant past; as Office 2011 is only just out, what's the best way I can find info on how to get the most out of VB? I'm assuming any books on the subject will reference only Windows versions of Excel, is the interface the same?

So far, I've worked our how to record a macro but I'm really struggling to place a macro button on the spreadsheet itself, I can only seem to place it in the toolbar which is then visible in every file I open, despite only being relevant to one.

Can anyone please help? Many thanks in advance ....

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is what you want, not plain old Visual Basic. The syntax of the language, functions available and so on are standard across the Mac and Windows version (so as macros written on one work on the other). Whilst the UI for access these features may differ between the platforms that's not the difficult bit. Any beginners book to VBA should be able to help you.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is what you want, not plain old Visual Basic.

My sincere thanks Robbie, I googled VBA and clicked on the first youtube video I came across. It all came down to enabling the developer tab in the ribbon and everything I needed to at least get started is in there.

The difference was indeed VBA, where I'd been looking for Visual Basic - thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.