Visual CSS style creator

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Sean Dempsey, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I am getting tired of using Dreamweaver for all my CSS needs. I use it to build my pages and html/php and whatnot, but I'd like to have maybe a sepearate program that is more of a live WYSIWYG creator for solely CSS.

I know there has been stuff like this for Windows, but what is there for OS X?

I don't want a html builder, I just want to be albe to fiddle and play with CSS and develop my styles, and then paste the style code into my dreamweaver documents.

Anyone know of anything like this?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I just downloaded and tried it, but I can't see the CSS on a page since all my pages are PHP files which pull in parts through "includes", so the pages aren't previewable since they're all in pieces.

I was hoping the editor just had a standard element sheet that would show what the CSS looked like without needing a live page to do so.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, everyone's page is structured differently. You should build up an HTML page that represents your site, then you can use programs like CSSEdit to preview it. That's your best bet probably. Personally, I run MAMP locally then I can view my PHP pages easily before taking them live.

5. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I downloaded MAMP, ran it, but I cannot figure out how the hell to get it to render PHP locally. What am I missing here? I read the FAQ, it was no help.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Where are your webpages stored? If memory serves, the directory path is something like... Applications > MAMP > htdocs.

Are your files located there?

I'm somewhat inconsistent. I run MAMP at work and XAMPP at home. XAMPP allows me to locate my files in the User > Sites directory which I find more convenient that MAMP.

(MAMP probably allows for the same thing. But I'd probably have to change a setting... and that's HARD!) :D

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not much info to go on there, but one common thing people miss is that you need to supply the port number, localhost:8080 for the home page. I believe that's the default one MAMP uses. I changed it to 80 so I don't need to enter it. Also, on the MAMP app, there's a Open Start Page button, give it a try.

8. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My websites are all located on a internal hard drive called "websites", and I have hundreds of them. I just want PHP pages to be viewable locally in Firefox. If I have to move my entire drive into the MAMP folder, obviously that won't work.

Maybe I'll just stick to having to upload via FTP to view anything live.

9. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

You can set which folder MAMP will operate from

When you want to view your page its

http://localhost:8888

and unless theres an index.html file in the folder you specified, it'll show a list of all the files and folders within that directory

Attached Files:

10. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

+1, exactly what he said.