Visual Editor or Code Editor ; Which do you use?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dataset, Aug 10, 2007.

1. dataset macrumors member

La Mirada, California, United States Of America
    I would put a poll for this if I could...

What do you use or like using to create websites?
    Visual Editors (Dreamweaver, stuff like that)
    or
    Code Editors (Smultron, text editors in general)

I always liked hand-coding in text editors with syntax coloring more than visual editors.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

When I'm designing, I use the code view in Dreamweaver. Habit. I'm just too used to the way it works because I've always used Dreamweaver.

When I'm debugging something that's already on the server, or something that's scripted too, I use Coda.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I haven't found a WYSIWYG editor that can keep up with my designs and keep my code formatted nicely so I live with TextWrangler doing code by hand. Overall I prefer it that way, more control.

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's time for you to upgrade to a computer that supports graphics.

Me? I also use both views, primarily text, but not vi, since, well, it's not the '70s. ;)

That, and also because I never learned it. :eek:

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

learning curve: high. productivity: atmospheric.

the only non-vi users i've seen that are able to program as fast are some emacs users. when something comes out that allows me to go faster than i can now, i'll switch. but as soon as you have to go touch the mouse, it's over.

9. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I use Dreamweaver but only in code view. I was looking to switch to BBEdit or Coda but seeing how Dreamweaver came with my CS3 bundle I just stuck with it. I might still switch.. Dreamweaver is too bloated, slow, and I have come to not trust it although this version is more reliable then previous. Other reasons why I still use it, capable of creating templets and automated updates to those templets also link management... I assume that other apps can do this too.. yes?

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

code only. I use dreamweaver because I work in a collaborative environment (I'd like to try and get everyone to use SVN or CVS but I doubt that'll happen)

I've never spent any time with VI or Emacs, I want to eventually give them a try, I just need some good reading resources.

11. grundgedanke macrumors member

grundgedanke

Coda from Panic. My #1. If you know and like HomeSite for Windows you'll love Coda too. Since it is a v1 I am so exited about the things to come ... even if there is allready loads of cool stuff in it. Give it a try:

http://www.panic.com/coda/

12. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I just thought of this too.

I have to write secure PHP code, and I can't rely on a WYSIWYG editor for that. I have to see the actual code, so that I can keep an eye out for problems.

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Textwrangler. I find dreamweaver and applications like that much too bloated and complicated.

Leave me to my hand written code that I understand. :eek:

14. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Anyone use Zend? I'm a PHP guy and I hear good things but it isn't the cheapest proggy on the block. Coda looks nice though, reminds me of an app called PHPStudio for the osx I came across a while back.

15. Fairly macrumors regular

That used to be crashing a lot. Anything changed?

16. pengu macrumors 6502a

i like the integrated approach Coda offers, but i use Komodo IDE at work on windows (its available for linux and mac too) and im somewhat spoiled by its features (in particular code hinting) compared to Coda..

17. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

I use a combination of Dreamweavers Visual and Code editors.

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Dreamweaver in code view or Smultron. Same difference. I get my live 'wysiwyg' previewing in CSSEdit.

19. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

BBEdit, all the way. If you're a professional Web developer, get off the DreamWeaver crutch. You aren't doing yourself or your clients any favors.

20. Aranince macrumors 65816

I love vim.

I write web sites by hand in a text editor.

21. Aranince macrumors 65816

I love vim.

I write web sites by hand in a text editor, only because there isn't a very good version of vi on windows ;)

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

on windows, instead of vim, i run the cygwin shell and vi within it. vim (at least the standalone GUI one) has some annoyances, such as cluttering up the directories with its backup files and some non-standard vi behavior. some of that behavior isn't bad, per se, it just means it doesn't always respond as i expect it to.

but check out the cygwin stuff if you haven't already, you'll get a whole unix-like environment.

23. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It runs extremely well with me, it hasn't crashed once. :)

24. CoreWeb macrumors 6502

I usually use Eclipse. I had been using GoLive, but it was too slow for me, and I wanted something which was a Universal Application.

Eclipse works pretty well for my purposes, but is sometimes too slow still. I really just need to be able to have several panes open, each with several tabs, and that is something which Eclipse manages. By having two or three code windows open simultaneously (I have a 30" monitor, and I do take advantage of it), I manage to see more while writing code.

For me, it isn't about the speed of coding. It is about the transparency of the editor. I want an editor that won't get in my way, and will allow me to see everything I need to see to write the code I need to write.

25. macmanmatty macrumors regular

I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    code editor all the way. I can do things so much faster and better with a code editor.