Visual Hub and HD (720p) .mkv files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doju, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I have Season 5 of The Office in 720p high definition, but after ripping them to .mkv files, I want to play them in iTunes. So, like DVDs, I booted up Visual Hub, dropped the files in, hit optimize for all devices, with H.264 encoding and Quality as Standard.

The files were about 600MB each. When Visual Hub finished and threw them in iTunes, the quality was horrible and at about 150MB. :(

I just want to keep it at the same quality as before, just a different file format. How do I do this?

2. str1f3 macrumors 68000

My recommendation is to use QuickTime Pro. It only costs $20 bucks and frankly you will spend an eternity converting a whole season of The Office and will lose video quality while with QT it will take an hour or so. Here is how you do it:

-Load the movie in Quick Time Pro

-Save as a Self Contained Movie (this saves it in .mov) and is very quick.

-File - Export - Export as "Movie to MPEG-4" - Options - Select File Format "MP4" - Select Video Format: "Pass Through".

Each file should take 2 min. to convert.

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

That's terrific! Could I use this with the Quicktime Pro in Snow Leopard?

Edit: It won't let me open it in the Quicktime that comes with Snow Leopard (the one with the funky new icon).

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yes, but the optional Quicktime 7 install in Snow Leopard only enables the Pro features if it detects a Pro license (during an upgrade) or you enter one (clean install).

Quicktime X (the default player bundled with Snow Leopard) does not support a large variety of video and audio codecs. What video and audio codec did you use when you ripped the files?

5. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Only Quicktime 7. Unfortunately they have gimped Quicktime X.

6. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I got Quicktime 7 and everything went perfectly, but I don't understand why I do the export bit.

I just hit the save as thing and it made a .mov file that worked perfectly. I hit export just to see what it did and it only made another file but ~8% smaller. (But the exporting took quite awhile, saving wasn't too bad.)

7. str1f3 macrumors 68000

You can always cut out the exporting if you want to keep it as an .mov file. I just offered .mp4 since it is compatible with many more products other than QuickTime/iTunes such as an XBOX.