Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elephant stone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I'm a graphic design student and was recommended by a couple of lecturers to maintain a visual journal. We've also been asked to maintain a reflective journal.

Sorry, I've got plenty of questions so please bear with me! :p

Does anyone know what the difference between the two is?

What sort of stuff could you put into a visual journal? For example if I like the layout and the general idea behind a shop, could I jot down anything I find interesting about it into my visual journal or would that go into a reflective journal?

Can you use any size of notebook for them? So could I use an A5 notebook for a visual journal because I find it a bit more comfortable to carry around?

I've got a lot of questions (unfortunately for you guys!) but want to understand the difference between visual journals and reflective journals first. I've already had a quick look on google and asked my lecturers, but can't seem to get a definitive answer as to what goes into each of them.

Ta in advance. :)

hikinedd

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Orange County, California
I've never heard of either, but going by the names alone I'd conclude a "visual journal" to be examples of others' work that contain inspiring elements I don't want to forget. My guess for a "reflective journal" is it would essentially be a portfolio of my own work, published/commissioned or not.

And, since no one else stepped to the plate to explain it, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D

Edd

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I'm a graphic design student and was recommended by a couple of lecturers to maintain a visual journal. We've also been asked to maintain a reflective journal.

I've kept neither.

Keeping a journal is a very individualistic choice. I personally have never kept a journal of any kind.

I would suggest to your lecturers (and to you) that all people don't fit into the same box.

A creative should understand that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.