Visual voice mail count as plan minutes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Sep 4, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does visual voice mail count as plan minutes or data usage?

2. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I could be wrong, but I believe calling voicemail will count as plan minutes.

3. memesmith macrumors regular

I believe visual voicemail counts as data, so is free. Unless, that is, you are out of 3G/EDGE reception, when you'll get a blank red notificationon your phone icon, and visual voicemail will say call to check messages. If you do that then, you may get charged against your minutes.

4. kis macrumors 65816

At least here on Swisscom it doesn't count as anything - it's free. The voice mail messages are delivered as data packages so it probably counts as data for other providers.

peter

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Visual voicemail doesn't eat up minutes. It uses data to download copies of the voice messages to your phone, which are stored locally. It also uses data to update your greeting and sync up with AT&T's voicemail system when you delete messages.

Actually calling voicemail on your iPhone (and using the voiceprompts) will use airtime.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Does it actually eat minutes or just count as "0" airtime? I thought it shows as a line item but doesn't "count" in the grand usage reckoning.

7. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

so it doesnt count minute on visual voicemail?

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Visual Voice Mail is a data service, so if you have a limited data plan, it will count against your total (unless there is a special proviso for it) same for if you are over seas.

Your minutes are only charged if you have to call into the regular voicemail system because you are outside of an EDGE or 3G service area, and that is only if your provider charges you to call them. at&t does not charge you to call them nor to check your voicemail through their regular system.

TEG

9. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

wow.. that is really good to know cuz sometimes i waited checking voicemail until 9 pm ^^