Visual Voicemail gone with iOS 5 beta 7 on my CDMA iPhone 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by polbit, Sep 2, 2011.

1. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Just updated to beta 7 yesterday, and my Visual Voicemail is gone - when I press the voicemail button, it just dials the voicemail... Spent couple of hours on the phone with Verizon and Apple, and they finally gave up and I have an appt to exchange the phone at the Apple Store.

Has anybody else experience this on CDMA iPhone 4?

2. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Haven't had this problem, but they won't exchange your phone because it's on a Beta software.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Exactly, did you mention to them that you were using Beta software on the device?

4. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

What does running a Beta software have to do with voicemail not working? By becoming an iOS developer I did not give up my right to support.

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Because it's a beta? That means that VVM may be broken just because of the firmware that is on your phone. Restore it to 4.3.5 and then complain when it doesn't work.

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Actually, you kind of did. The difference here is that your support now gets handled through the developer portal.

http://developer.apple.com/support/resources/

Have at it bud.

7. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

It's not gone.

If all it's dialing is voicemail and you're not seeing your messages, it's because the update lost your login info. You need to simply re-enter your voicemail password...it's all good.

8. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

I can't restore it to 4.2.10 (CDMA), it just times out on preparing to restore. I've tried with iTunes 10.5 beta 7 and iTunes 10.4.1.

I have no problem working through the beta and bugs such as crashes/programs not working, etc. However vm is a basic function, and it should work. Since it appears I'm the only one with this issue, I'm sure it was coincidental that it happened with installation of beta 7, and more of an issue with authentication/authorization.

----------

Well, when I click on Voicemail, it dials in, and asks for my password. Once I enter it, I can listen to my messages, etc. It's the visual voicemail that's missing, and the Setup VVM button is nowhere to be found.

9. shandyman Suspended

yes voicemail is a basic function and you have a basic voicemail functioning, it dials your voicemail.

visual voicemail, on the other hand, is not necessarily a basic function. it's not even universal across phone networks as only the 1 has it here in the UK.

Am sure it'll be working in the next beta/GM, just gotta stick it out as it's not going to magically fix itself and there's nothing anyone else can do until apple fix the code they broke in the betas

10. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Have you tried changing your voicemail password from Settings > Phone?

11. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

Unfortunately I do not have that option. It's as if my iPhone was unaware of Visual Voicemail. Must think it's on one of those UK networks... :eek:

12. ppilone macrumors 6502

If you're running a beta there are no guarantees that any feature will work, no matter how basic. There are no guarantees that your phone will even turn on (take a look at the threads on OTA updates for the 3GS). You shouldn't have installed the beta on your primary device.

Also, you should be looking for support on the dev forums and reporting the issue to Apple via the bug reporter. If in fact this is an issue with beta 7 I'm sure they'll want to address it.

13. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

If there comes a time when I can make enough money off of mobile apps to quit my day job, I'll be sure to have development units for the iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, etc., etc. In the meantime, as this is mostly a hobby, I get by with using my primary device as my dev device. I completely understand the risks, however I have an issue with the fact that I cannot make the device work again as intended by reflashing it with older/different OS version.

I have posted on dev forums and it does not seem like a problem for anybody else. What I do find interesting is that the VVM was a big issue at the initial Verizon iPhone lunch, so I still think it's a Verizon issue.

Have to comment on the Apple Store too. I went to my appointment for the phone replacement and the Genius I got was great to deal with until I mentioned the words Beta. Never seen anybody switch demeanor so fast and become so rude in a matter of seconds. You would think I was trying to steal something. First time ever at an Apple Store that I had to ask for the manager to report what just happened, but I was quite shaken by the whole incident. Didn't walk out with a new phone, but a reasonable explanation of the policy and an understanding that if the issue continues after iOS 5 officially comes out, I can pursue replacement again.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

15. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

I'm having the same issue with a Verizon iPhone 4, iOS 5 beta 7.I think it's just a bug in iOS. No password option on settings > phone either for me.

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's very normal. You installed betas and you knew and took the risk of something isn't working. No matter if it's basic or not. I believe Genius's support is for normal product but not betas.

17. nmork macrumors regular

Just like everyone else has said. Part of the definition of beta software is that it's unsupported. Not really sure why you expected anything else.

Seeing as how you're a developer, look at it this way. How would you feel if someone installed and tried to run your software before it was finished knowing fully well that it wasn't finished, then came complaining to you when it didn't work?

18. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

Since this was my first time dealing with an issue with Beta software and iPhone, I was not aware of the policy at the Apple stores. After speaking with the manager I am perfectly fine with his explanation, even if I have reservations whether the Beta software caused the issue or not. I can wait until the final version is released and go from there.

My last comment was as to the manner in which the Genius approached it.

19. iTeddy macrumors newbie

Sadly, I am having this same issue EXACTLY. The main difference is I am not a beta tester. I started with the white iPhone 4 but because of size issues while in a case messing with the proximity sensor, I now have a black iPhone 4. I hadn't noticed VVM missing until I was getting calls with no voicemails being left. I went to check and to my surprise, I no longer had VVM. I called Apple and got the usual "restart and if that doesn't work then call back". Of course a hard reset and resetting all of the settings didn't work. I am currently restoring the phone but called Verizon and they were no help either. I'm kind of tired of taking this phone into the Genius bar, but does anyone have a suggestion for this issue NOT caused by a beta tester?

20. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

I'm sure everybody was dying to know, so I wanted to post an update - as of yesterday morning, my visual voicemail automagically reappeared.

I'm afraid to touch it now!

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

People who have to leave important messages do. Not everyone uses text, FB, Twitter, etc. I have clients that leave me VMs when I'm not able to answer the call.

22. mhedden macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to IOS 5 and the same thing happened to both my 3Gs phone, and my wife's 4 phone. I found that what a previous poster had said was true, you simply have to re-enter your password and your visual voicemail service is restored. However, doing that is not as intuitive as it should be.

1. Access voicemail on the phone.
    2. Allow it to dial your voicemail.
    3. Switch to speaker phone.
    4. Watch the display, and wait for a prompt asking for your voicemail password. (ignore the audio prompts).
    5. Once you've entered your password, Hang up, and check visual voicemail.