Visual voicemail not detecting new messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ramparts, Sep 20, 2009.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

Apparently I've been getting voicemails that don't show up on the iPhone - people can leave them, and I can access them by calling my number or holding 1 on the keypad screen, but the iPhone doesn't alert me when they come, and they don't show up on Visual Voicemail. Any ideas what could be wrong - or how to fix it?

2. allial3001 macrumors newbie

I called, AT&T said they know about the issue, but don't know when it will be fixed. This is HUGE, people don't know there is an issue. We have to bring this to the attention of the national media.

Seriously, this has probably been an issue for a week or more. People just don't realize that voicemails are being left, because Visual Voicemail isn't notifying them or showing the new voicemails.

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. That's just strange.

Although from what I can tell, I haven't been getting them since late June (no, I'm not very conscientious about checking my voicemail :eek:). Wonder if it's the same issue. Hope it gets fixed soon!

4. icewing macrumors 6502

Did you have the BenM profile installed to enable tethering? This broke with the 3.1 update, AT&T had me delete it and reset my network settings - I had to do the reset twice and reboot my router.

Here's my earlier thread on the topic: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=788908

Good luck!

5. allial3001 macrumors newbie

Nope, this was a case of the voicemail working with no issues one day, to it not working the next day and still not working.

Called AT&T and they reset my network settings and it still didn't work. After that they said they found an outstanding issue that they said they did not have a ETA for.

6. Lorskyfink macrumors newbie

Fixed!!!

I thought this was an AT&T issue, but was dismayed when I swapped SIM's with my wife, and her phone got my voicemail messages without a problem. Clearly it was a problem with my own iPhone.

I wiped the phone and restored it. No good. Called Apple. They walked me through going into Settings>General. Near the bottom of the screen was a "profile" option. They had me tap on that and remove the profile. Then my visual voicemail started working again. I may have needed to reboot again. With all the rebooting I did, I don't remember. I also needed to re-enter my voicemail password.

The tech told me that this is a problem happening with a few people who upgraded their phones to 3.1. But it's a minority of users.

Apparently they don't use the profile in the same way they used to, or something like that.

In any case, something to try. Good luck.

Loren

7. tnisatard macrumors 6502

it happened to my cousin, it was cause the software update, he had to setup his phone as a new iphone

8. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I installed the BenM hack. How do you get rid of it?

This problem seems to go back to June for me so I'm not convinced it's 3.1 though...

9. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

I called AT&T and they reset things for me, but now my iPhone is telling me to set up my voicemail and having issues (when I do the setup, it's not communicating with the server). As it turns out, this is because of the BenM hack. AT&T told me to completely wipe my iPhone, but the guy on the phone didn't exactly sound like he knew what he was doing... so how do you get rid of this hack without clean installing? Thanks!!

10. icewing macrumors 6502

To remove the BenM hack - Settings -> General -> Profiles. I forget what it looked like, but I believe it said it was an AT&T profile, and if you tapped it "BenM" showed on it somewhere.

Tap on it and select the Remove button.

Then go back to Settings -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. Note: this will remove any wireless networks you've got set up.

Good luck!

11. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Uh oh.... I don't have a setting called "Profiles". This actually came up on the phone with the AT&T guy yesterday (forgot to mention that). Problematic?

12. AZ-Brett macrumors newbie

These posts are last year but I started not getting voicmails in June 2010 after the last update. I would get a message that would pop up "voice mail password incorrect" I had not even accessed VM. The messages about drove me crazy. After discovering I wasn't getting VM notifications I found and read these posts. I don't have "Profiles" on my 4G so I decided to change my VM password and that was it. VMs started coming in.
    Hope this helps someone.