Visual Voicemail Setup Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomusername, Aug 29, 2008.

1. randomusername macrumors 6502

I just got my iPhone today and am setting everything up right now but when I go to voicemail it calls my voicemail instead of going to visual voicemail and I can't find out how to set it up. Also, when it's finally set up, how do I make my own voicemail message?

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I've had this happen on at least 8 of the iPhones we got in our office. In all likelihood you need to call AT&T and have them reset your voicemail (not just your password but rebuild the voicemail).

You can try to call your voicemail by pressing and holding 1 from your iPhone. However, if you the message to enter the 10 digit number of the subscriber you will have to call AT&T.

As for recording your message, once your VV is working it is pretty obvious what you do. There will be a "Greeting" button you press and then you can record your greeting.

Hope that helps.

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Once I put in the password and setup the voicemail, visual voicemail became available.

4. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I wish that would have worked for me, I could never get that far. Glad it worked out.

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Wow, I had this issue on three of my phones. Once I went through the entire setup process, Visual Voicemail showed up and I set it up.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Call your own number, which would bounce to your voicemail and setup through there.

7. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Yeah, when I had my problems I tried that one too. There were a number of things I tried prior to getting on the phone with AT&T. My situation was sort of unique though. My account is an enterprise account and I ordered 12 iPhones through DF right around the time of the launch. They all came in at different times and each time the system didn't automatically add the new contract. That had to be done manually. I also know having gone through this so many times that the voicemail wasn't setting up right in the process.

So I know my problem was related to the setup on AT&T's system when I picked up the phones.

I still have one user who is having problems. If his phone is on and someone calls but he doesn't answer or rejects the call, instead of going to his voicemail it goes to the prompt to enter in the 10 digit number of the AT&T subscriber you are calling. However, if the phone is off, it goes to his voicemail just fine.

I know this is related to the conditional forwards setup on this users phone. However, on the iPhone, unlike other cell phones I've used, the conditional forward settings cannot be changed by the user.

Still working on this one so if anyone has any ideas.

8. stevejobbers macrumors member

lol, i just had this EXACT problem not 5 mins ago.

i found some site online that instructed me to dial my own number from the keypad, and when the voice comes on telling you about your voicemail, bring up the keypad and enter a *

nothing will happen then, so just end the call. wait a minute or two then press phone and then voicemail and viola!!!!!