Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowbr4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
So I am curious if there is a such thing as voicemail spoofing. Last night i got a voicemail from my girlfriends number. There was no missed call or anything. In the voicemail it sounded like people having sex. The voicemail was just 5 seconds and ended. She swears up and down that she never called me and was playing a trick. My question is, is it possible to do voicemail spoofing? I know that you can call someone and have a different number display. But what about a voicemail? I personally think my girlfriend was cheating. But wanted to check this. She even said she would show me her bill to show she never called.

Please I just want serious answers....I know there will be a lot of people who joke. But just want a serious answer.

Thanks guys.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
FWIW (which isn't much), if someone spoofs their phone number to make a call (so that it showed up with a different phone number on your caller ID), I don't see why it wouldn't also show up as that same different number on Visual Voicemail, since the only thing Visual Voicemail has to go on is the Caller ID trail. As for the message appearing without a missed call, it could happen because of a lapse in service/coverage, couldn't it? Isn't that the usual behavior when for whatever your phone doesn't receive signal and so it doesn't ring?

P.S. You can PM us when this thread is ready to be wastelanded, which it assuredly will be soon. :p

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
since the only thing Visual Voicemail has to go on is the Caller ID trail

I'm not so sure about that. I don't know how Visual Voicemail is implemented, but if the number listed for a given message is provided by AT&T, then it might well be obtained from ANI rather than CID. If, on the other hand, it's resolved by the phone (which, now that I think about it, seems unlikely) it will almost certainly be from CID (and thus spoofable.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.