Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Tim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
I use my iPhone 3gs for business and personal use. I do not get a lot of voice mails, but recently, my fiancee and an elderly relative both told me that they had left vmails for me which I thought I never got because they did not show up in my visual voicemail screen. My fiancee was also not getting a voice mails that I had left for her. The last visual voice mail that I received was dated Sep 9th.

So today, I called my phone from my own phone, thinking that I would test it by leaving myself a message. It put me into my voice mail however and I heard the following:

"You have 22 new messages"

TWENTY-TWO???

I listened to all my messages, including several from neighbors of a vacant rental unit that I own that was undergoing renovation last month telling me that there were very loud noises or the smoke detector going off all night. I also had several calls from my elderly relative whom I watch out for - fortunately, not health related.

Upset, I called AT&T to find out why my visual voice mail was broken. The gentleman I spoke with said that yes, this is a known problem that affects "some, but not all" iPhone users, and that they were working with Apple on the problem.

I asked why they didn't tell their customers that it was broken and he said it was because they didn't know who it affected until we called in. The obvious and ethical approach would have been to notify all customers of the potential for our voice mails to not appear and for us to call our voice mail to check it periodically.

The ONLY reason that ATT would not notify everyone is to hide the fact that there is apparently a widespread problem with their service. I told the call center rep that I was extremely upset. I had 22 un-received voice mails, some of which were very important. I missed business calls, and my former neighbors were unable to reach me about a potentially significant problem with my rental unit. I told him that their response to this problem is completely unacceptable and unethical and I asked him to pass that message to his supervisor and/or management. (Clearly it's not that guy's fault and I was perfectly polite to him, even though I was fuming.)

There is absolutely no excuse for ATT to not inform all iPhone customers (who pay dearly for data and voice plans) when there is a potential service interruption. I feel as if I did not get the service for which I paid. The rep however said that visual voicemail is "free" since the mandatory iPhone unlimited data plan costs the same whether you have visual voicemail or standard old-style voice mail. The fact that it's bundled does not make it "free" - nothing is "free" from ATT.

In any event, if you are experiencing this problem, please post here so we can see how widespread it is. And call ATT to complain. They need to fix this and they need to step up and admit the problem. (I actually don't care that there IS a problem, since there are always issues with cutting-edge technology and I can easily call in to check my voice mail while they work on the issue. But I have to KNOW to do that before I actually CAN do it.)

-Tim.

atm2626

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
This same thing happened to me. I had 14 voicemails that were new. I guess I've been missing voicemails for a couple of weeks now.

I can't blame AT&T though because I've done the following things that may have triggered this:

1) Updated the ipcc file before mms to do tethering through benm's site (but my visual voicemail was working)
2) Updated the ipcc carrier file without updating my software when mms was launched.

Those may have caused it... :-/

Mac-Tim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
Good point - I had also installed the benm.at internet tethering profile, but since it hasn't worked since the last iPhone update, I just removed it and now my visual voice mail seems to be working again. Hopefully the next version of the tethering profile takes into account this issue. His site says he thinks he's found a way to do it again.

I guess I owe ATT an apology... :)

-Tim.

flintmica

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2006
I never updated my IPCC file until it came in itunes couple weeks back and my visual voicemail has NOT worked since i got my 3gs back in July. I had the 2G iphone with working visual voicemail up until that point.
3 calls were made to ATT with no one being able to explain or correct.

I've restored and reset everything but it still does not work. My current workaround is to use my Google Voice number for all calls. At least I get notified via email when someone leaves me a VM :confused:

joe mamma

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
visual voicemail fix

go to your Settings>General>Profile>then remove all profiles
then Reset network settings Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.
Your visual voicemail should be working now.

The issue is not with AT&T. In the cases where the consumers enable tethering on their device this profile will restrict visual voicemail. Also some applications install a profile on the device and also restrict visual voicemail. The issue sits with the consumer and the 3.0 APPLE IPHONE update. The 3.1 and AT&T carrier update 5.5 were suppossed to remove most of the profiles (not all of them).

If still not working try this: go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network, and set the APN for Visual Voicemail to acds.voicemail
Reset Network Settings again

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Good point - I had also installed the benm.at internet tethering profile, but since it hasn't worked since the last iPhone update, I just removed it and now my visual voice mail seems to be working again. Hopefully the next version of the tethering profile takes into account this issue. His site says he thinks he's found a way to do it again.

I guess I owe AT&T an apology... :)

-Tim.

Yeah, you do. After writing 4+ paragraphs about how AT&T screwed you, you'd think one line was totally insufficient. Perhaps edit your OP???

joe mamma

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
vvm

also according to the New York Times the average Iphone user uses 10 times the amount of data that other PDA owners use. You throw in (unauthorized)tethering for a few hundred thousand users and that produces a strain on network. $30 per month is pretty cheap for the data use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.