VisualHub 1.31 Settings

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thunderclap, Mar 12, 2008.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've been a long time user of VisualHub but this is the first time I've started using it for Apple TV (as you may have noticed from my ever increasing posts here). I've done a lot of searching and seem to be getting conflicting opinions on many different sites for the getting the ultimate picture quality from converted DVD's. I thought a thread dedicated to optimal settings might be good here. (I tried registering with the VisualHub forum several times but I never get the authorization e-mail so I figured this to be the next best place.)

So how do you handle your encoding? Do you use the Apple TV or MP4 preset with Standard, High or Go Nuts selected? (I've heard MP4 with High gives better picture quality than Apple TV). What about the advanced option? Do you use the Best Possible H.264/AVC setting under Extra ffmpeg flags? If so do you use them in a combination with the higher quality settings?

I think everyone here wants the best possible picture quality without creating huge files over 3GB. I'm still experimenting with the settings to figure out the best so I'll post my thoughts after I'm done. Until then what do you do?

2. Jeff Hall macrumors regular

Jeff Hall

You probably want to use Handbrake to convert the ripped DVD VIDEO_TS folders. Handbrake, AFAIK, will build a proper M4V file with 5.1 sound compatible with Apple TV, whereas VisualHub can only do this in a .MOV container (which apparently you cannot tag with MetaX).

3. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

I encode most of my HighDef .mkv 720p movies with VisualHub. I usually use AppleTV setting, Go Nuts, and Two Pass. The only bad thing is I want 5.1 audio in it, but currently do not have a 5.1 setup (but want the 5.1 files for the future), so I'm kinda stuck in the middle whether to encode on regular AppleTV or AppleTV 5.1 (but these don't have any audio on a stereo sound system)... ughh

4. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've experimented with both Handbrake and VisualHub and it seems to me that VisualHub does create a slightly crisper image. With that in mind, I've done several different conversions with VisualHub (Standard, High, Go Nuts, and then modified settings in Advanced) and the image seems pretty much the same although the file size does increase. The render time slows down a bit too.

5. F-six macrumors member

I'm experimenting too.. I have a wonderful BBC tv-serie in both 720p and in 1080p resolution. The episodes are mkv-files. VH will convert them both with Apple TV 5.1, H.264 code and go nuts setting. But I noticed some strange behaviour with the converted files. The converted 720p files don't run smoothly on the :apple:tv. There is a hick-up from time to time, especially when the camera is slowly turning to show a wide landscape. Or when you slowly entering a magnificent canyon (through the eye of the camera). It's very annoying.
    The converted 1080p files however do run smoothly on the :apple:tv. No hick-up whatsoever. I checked both converted files in Quicktime and they both have the same settings; H264, 1280 x 720, AC3, Stereo (L R), 23,98 fps. Both have also the same bitrate: around 4800 kbs (is this correct?). So how can the files converted from the 720p originals not running smoothly?

Another thing. I know that files converted in Apple 5.1 setting won't play sounds on a stereo. So if you don't have a soundsystem connected to your :apple:tv, your out of luck, you don't have any sound. But why says the Quicktime information that there is a stereo file in the container? Is it there? Or is it just not possible to use this file?

Anyway, I think I need to convert a file two times. One with 5.1 sound for the livingroom. And one stereo file for the :apple:tv in the bedroom. There is no surroundsound system in the bedroom...
    And I need to figure out how to convert the 720p mkv files so they run smoothly on the :apple:tv. Next time I might not be so lucky that I have also a 1080p version available..
    :eek: