VisualHub 5.1 Setting

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Blazer5913, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Just a question: If I encode a .mkv file with 5.1 sound using VisualHub's 5.1 preset, will the resulting file work on a regular stereo system? Currently, I don't have a surround sound/receiver setup, but plan on getting one soon. Yet, I want to encode the .mkvs with 5.1 for the future using VisualHub's 5.1 setting. Anybody know?

PS. I'm pretty sure Handbrake makes two different audio tracks, a stereo and 5.1, right? Any chance VisualHub will do this?

2. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. oli2140 macrumors 6502

4. wmealer macrumors regular

I have actually tried this on 2 separate files. Like you, I plan to someday hook my :apple:tv up to a home theater system, so I'd like to encode for the future. Unfortunately when I play a mp4 with 5.1 audio on my :apple:tv, the audio doesn't translate through the TV. I'm using HDMI if that makes any difference. Doubt it would work via component/stereo outputs either, but not sure. I wish :apple:tv sampled 5.1 audio down on the fly like any DVD player would.

5. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

Trying to parse your question, it seems like you're asking whether or not Visual Hub will include both 5.1 and Dolby II into a .mkv encode? Or are you looking to convert your torrents, keeping the 5.1?

I'm not sure .mkvs are compatible with :apple:TV. (Well, that's a nice way of saying that they're not.)

You seem to be worried about whether or not your VHub encodes will play on your stereo (i.e.: are both 5.1 and dII included), and I think if you want to know for sure, you should ask the developer of VHub.

Handbrake can include both tracks in an MP4, which is :apple:TV compatible.

6. hooghly macrumors newbie

VisualHub 1.33 update answers your question

New in 1.33

New "Apple TV 5.1 + 2.0" preset creates QuickTime files playable on any Mac or Apple TV, with both original AC3 audio track plus Stereo AAC.