VisualHub activation key HELP

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by randrade, Feb 5, 2009.

1. randrade macrumors newbie

i was going to buy this and see that it is no longer supported. does anyone know how i can activate it? is someone else taking over the project?

would like to activate it

2. refulgentis macrumors regular

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

Handbrake's SVN will address some of the VisualHub advantages in terms of fixing crashes. 0.9.3 is still a decent converter if you know the workarounds.

5. refulgentis macrumors regular

Certainly not in output quality. Only other thing I can think of is you could argue that HB has too many distracting widgets, but its simple as heck if you can just focus on Add source -> click preset -> add to queue.

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

The biggest problem with Handbrake right now is that they're using the FAAC encoder which is generally accepted to be pretty poor...

Hopefully they'll start using a better one

7. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Do you have another free, open source, cross platform recommendation?

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

I still use handbrake :)

It looks like there is work in progress (there is a thread on their forums) to move to another codec

9. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm as big on cross platform code as the next person in that I like to use PHP instead of ASP.Net or MySQL instead of MSSQL. The obsession ends when something is just clearly better than the other implementations even if it is platform specific.

Should Mac users "suffer" with FAAC when there is another AAC encoder that is better? Purely as a software philosophy question I would use what is better for the job.

I don't write Handbrake and I'm not going to try. My area isn't the same as theirs, but I can say I would like to use the best software available for the platform I'm using even if the plugin happens to be closed source.

10. NightStorm macrumors 68000

To be completely clear, the Windows and Linux people have to suffer with FAAC too...

Don't get me wrong, I'm there with you. I end up having to patch the source to use CoreAudio for AAC encoding every time I build a new version (which works great, but sometimes the patch needs updated to apply cleanly to the latest SVN checkouts). But, the developers have stated that they don't want unique features in the code for single instances of the software. Handbrake is no longer just a Mac program (in fact I'm pretty sure the Windows version is the most downloaded); they want a uniform experience on all three platforms they support (Mac/Win/Linux).

That said, I'm pretty sure dynaflash is pretty annoyed by my constant "get CoreAudio patch into SVN" requests. =)

11. LinMac macrumors 65816

I believe the latest discussion was something towards a module/plugin mode for that type of software to be included rather than dirtying up the code program itself.

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

VisualHub was one awesome program.... I really miss the updates but imo its still one of the best out there...

SourceForge had some new codes no? What happened?

13. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Yes, that is true... although I do not believe any real work has been done to that end.

What did VisualHub use for AAC encoding?

14. refulgentis macrumors regular

Do you think VisualHub isn't? :p

15. refulgentis macrumors regular

faac

16. refulgentis macrumors regular

Hell, you can't even find two of those, much less all 3.

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Does that mean I'm not the only one that gets loads of crashes with HB 0.9.3?

I gave up on HB because of I can no longer rip DVDs without it crashing half way through.

18. NightStorm macrumors 68000

That's what I thought, just didn't want to state the obvious. :D

19. refulgentis macrumors regular

There's no way of knowing without you popping into IRC or the forums with an activity log. There's very little trouble reading DVDs, there were a couple ffmpeg (read: alternative input) bugs that were punishing people who throwing MKVs and AVIs in there. They're all fixed in development code.

20. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

LOL... I seriously fell off my chair reading this one! Nice....

21. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Cheers. i'll go take a look. :)

22. swhit macrumors newbie

open source FilmRedux is VisualHub

I've read that the discontinued VisualHub program is now available, without activation key needed, as the open source FilmRedux program. If you have Apple's Xcode installed on your machine, you should be able to compile and build your own version of FilmRedux.

I found directions here:

http://www.squidoo.com/isquint-visualhub-free-mac-video-converter

Good luck.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's kind of amazing to me that, with the open source code available, no one is just hosting a built version of it still... I guess I should probably stop complaining and do it myself, but my relatively basic programming skills (as well as lack of ownership of an Intel Mac) seem to make me less than ideal. :eek:

24. PHermas macrumors newbie

You can now download transcoder redux, the open source version of visualhub. Not completed yet so it might crash but hey it's free. http://www.transcoder-redux.com/