VisualHub and Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ohsnap, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ohsnap macrumors regular

VisualHub was discontinued in 2007 but I still use it for the majority of my video conversions despite the plethora of more modern apps. I even purchased a legal license back in the day. It appears to be fully functional except for the fact that it "forgets" your license information and refuses to be re-licensed even if you bring the license file from another machine. The free version that was released in 2008 requires you to be licensed as well and you run into the same problem. There are about a half-dozen other apps that do the same thing, but IMHO not quite as well.

So I guess this is a heads-up to you hold-outs who still use VH, it and Lion do not play well together for some reason.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Visualhub was open sourced yonks ago. There are at least two programs based on exactly the same source code out there that are completely free and are still maintained. I'd use one of those instead.

3. ohsnap thread starter macrumors regular

They're terrible and not nearly as feature complete as VH.

4. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

Handbrake is a nice free alternative.

iFFmpeg is the closest you'll find to Visualhub i feel it's even better though it's not free though very cheap.

5. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've been using Stomp (shinywhitebox.com) for operations I used to use VisualHub. For me, VisualHub stopped working (and started crashing) years ago.

Not sure, but Apple Compressor might be a suitable alternative as well.

7. mackid1993 macrumors member

I have found a workaround for this problem. First download this much older but cracked version of Visualhub.https://rs704l35.rapidshare.com/#!d...2.zip|1934|R~5247153EA8C8AA5847EAC4A8BD6B9EE5 Because this copy is cracked, it will not require a registration key. Now unzip the file and copy it to your Applications folder, but don't open it. Now download this file http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KZDG063A. Next, unzip and open the enclosing folder. Copy the file "vh122ffmpeg" to /Library/Application Support/Techspansion. If the latter folder doesn't exist, create it. You can also experiment buy using the newer "vh133ffmpeg" file (it is just a newer version of ffmpeg), just rename it to "vh122ffmpeg" so the program recognizes it. Thats it, I would recommend backing up these files, because who knows how much longer they will be around for. I also want to add that I did not contribute to the cracking of this software in any way shape or form, nor did I take part in uploading these files. I simply found them using a search engine. Anyone could have done it. My only intention is to help others still use one of the greatest video converters ever for Mac, and still one of the greatest. I would also like to add that Visualhub was discontinued in 2008 and the option to purchase a license is no longer available.

8. Atarikid macrumors regular

VisualHub is dead (a long time).
    I use iFFmpeg which is way better. It is not free but worth every penny for me.

9. mackid1993 macrumors member

Nothing seems to convert avi files and author dvd's as quickly and efficiently as Visualhub. I have been going nuts for the past couple of days trying to find something as good, until I realized that a cracked version might solve the issue.

10. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

ReduxEncoder is almost identical to VisualHub, and works perfectly on Lion.

11. LinMac macrumors 65816

VisualHub wasn't a bad program back in 2007. Its 2011 and technology has moved forward.

MKV with h.264 (or WebM) and AC3 (etc) audio is far superior in every measurable way. Use http://handbrake.fr/ and never look back to the old days of grainy DivX video in AVI.

12. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

reboot and hold down the 6 key and the 4 key on boot up. Should work now

13. mackid1993 macrumors member

That may work for people with newer Macs, but for those with 32bit systems like me, my more complicated method seems to be the only solution.

14. jphall macrumors member

good news from Tyler....

Look what I found today as I prepare for Lion tomorrow:

http://www.techspansion.com/vhlion.html

An update for a discontinued product (there is also an update for audialhub, which I was just about to buy when Techspansion quit selling its software), which makes me very happy. I have not tried it as I will not have Lion until tomorrow (Wednesday the 20th), but it is great news that it may be salvaged for Lion, rather than dropped in the trash bin of history.

Ciao. Joel.