VisualHub DV Conversion Display Probs!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BruceEBonus, Jan 11, 2008.

1. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

I've used VisualHub to convert footage taken directly off my Sony HDD camcorder (MPG files) which it converted to DV files. Yes they work in iMovie 08 but all the edges of any object are jagged ... and semiblurred .. almost an underwater effect .

I dunno if I'mconverting these to the wrong format or if its an incompatibility with Sony HDD files or summat thingy ... OR ... should I just buy Quicktime Pro and walk straight out of the house .. get into the car .. get out again .. realising that Apple Quicktime Pro is already ON my machine ... pay em twenty quid and use that to convert instead?.

In other words .. to convert HDD Camcorder files .. to use in iMovie 08 what should I ask VisualHub to change the format to for best display?

Ta

Bruce

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I thought that iMovie'08 natively supported the MPEG-2 HDD camcorders. No?

ft

3. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Seemingly not. They end with extension .mpg. They convert but thats it .. via Visual Hub

I am prepared to cough hard for the QuickTime Pro upgrade but dont wanna fork out twenty quid if its norra lorra good ... dunno if this is a SOny thing or a HDD camcorder issue.

I know Sonys are sods for Mac compatibility ... weird ... but its a right let down ... and I thought Visual Hub wouldve sorted it to be honest:confused:

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Bruce,

Check out this WEB PAGE. There seems to be three Sony HDD (MPEG-2) camcorders listed as being compatible.

Is your camcorder one of them?

iMovie should be able to import the footage. Not sure if it needs to convert it before editing, but if it does, then at least you won't need to shell out the $20 for the QT plug-in.

Good luck!

ft

5. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

If you just want to convert movie use FFMpegX. I have found VisualHub to be great for burning DVDs but FFMpegX is the best for simply converting to a more useable/compressed format.