VisualHub problems. DvD->h.264

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueflame, May 2, 2007.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

ok, so after using handbrake for a few years now. I decided to take the plunge and buy VisulHub. I figure, its worth it with my Apple TV and all the dvds I own. Handbrake has been giving me a TON of problems lately, dropping audio on just about every other dvd.

ok, so i ripped my movies using mac the ripper, and dragged he files into visual hub. go nuts and GO. after exhaustive hours of 186% cpu usage and what happens, unplayable files. "quicktime cannot open this file" i have tried multiple times with multiple settings to no avail. HELP!

What am I doing wrong, isnt this somethig visualhub is supposed to do? Im just sad, and any help by anyone knowladgable would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks everyone in advance!
    A

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I hate to bring this up after you have bought VisualHub, but have you tried MPEGStreamclip for this? It's free, and it may do what you are wanting.

Brian

3. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Maybe I am missing something. my end goal is to convert my entire 300 something dvd library to h.264. in handbrake I was using 2500 as the bitrate. with the files coming out to about 3 gig a peice. this seems to be some sort of capture. quality is an issue for me. I really want it all top notch. this seems to be some sort of stream capture?
    thanks!

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I just know that down on the page it says it's a video converter. I use it to convert mpeg files to dv, avi, mp4, not sure if it will do h.264.

maybe you could try ffmpegX

It's page says the following:
    "ffmpegX is a Mac OS X graphic user interface designed to easily operate more than 20 powerful Unix open-source video and audio processing tools including ffmpeg the "hyper fast video and audio encoder" (http://ffmpeg.sf.net/), mpeg2enc the open-source mpeg-2 encoder and multiplexer (http://mjpeg.sf.net/MacOS/) and mencoder the mpeg-4 encoder with subtitles support (http://sf.net/projects/mplayerosx)."

The first example they show is coverting vob to mp4/h.264...also free.

Brian

5. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Hmm... I guess what I must really be looking for is a handbrake replacement. I do not mind paying for something that works. I just do not want to be wasting hours and hours of time. also, that first link reports an error?

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If you mean the first link in the quote from their page, I didn't make that one. The one i made worked find when I clicked it just now.

Sorry I can't help you with a Handbrake replacement, I think that handbrake (not sure of the current version number) and mac the ripper are the two most documented ones I've seen on this and two other forums.

Brian

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm not clear on why you're looking to replace HandBrake. So... why are you trying to replace it? :confused:

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac the Ripper and FFmpegx is the answer I would say.

9. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hi Killmoms

I am trying to replace it becuase it consistantly drops the audio on my files. it will get 20% then no audio for the rest, or 70% and not audio. it is just taking too much time for somehting that is working only 30% of the time for me.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

New Version

There is a new version of handbrake called mediafork. I've had great success with it.

When converting DVDs, Visual Hub is not the correct program, but it sure does work for what it is suppose to do.