Visualhub updated

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chme6583, May 2, 2008.

1. chme6583 macrumors member

New "Apple TV 5.1 + 2.0" preset creates QuickTime files playable on any Mac or Apple TV, with both original AC3 audio track plus Stereo AAC.

So does this mean it will play on both my Apple TV with 5.1 surround sound and my Apple TV in bedroom without? Because that's how I see that, I really just want to make sure. If so, GREAT!!!! I will test right now.

2. refulgentis macrumors regular

wow this is quite a bombshell if he does this in an mp4
    EDIT: nvm, the mov "trick" again. why do people want ac3 in an mp4 instead of a mov anyway? it all seems to be the same to me, except mp4 is actually a standard, but ac3 in an mp4 is non-standard anyway so it all seems like bollocks

3. eddyg macrumors 6502

Personally I don't see the problem with AC3 in an MP4, it's just a different audio codec, nothing special. The fact that it isn't in the standard is not that relevant, standards get made be people extending them like this.

As to why use an mp4 (as an m4v) instead of a QT mov, simply because it is a standard. And therefore other players can still play the AC3 enabled movies, whereas other players are unlikely to support a QT mov.

And of course, Apple themselves are using MP4s, and so you're more likely to be able to use your AC3 files moving forwards if it is also what Apple is using.

Cheers, Ed.

4. refulgentis macrumors regular

I just wish there was a independent mp4 muxer for mac that would do it, I know you patched Handbrake for it but nothing else even compiles even close to cleanly from SVN right now, much less accept AC3

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Really? I compile from SVN almost daily and it compiles just fine for me. I'll bet $10 you need to have yasm installed (there is a sticky about this on the HB forums).

Or am I just not understanding what you've written here?

6. refulgentis macrumors regular

Handbrake is fine from SVN, I mean mp4box/mp4creator won't. Most of my sources are MP4s with H.264 in them already, so handbrake won't accept them.

7. filmguy15 macrumors member

For me, it's the meta tag issue. mov files won't hold all of the tags that mp4 will....I don't know why.

8. ironjaw macrumors 6502

Yeah why is that, i've seen that as well? I'm a bit uneducated in that area. Anyone care to explain?:D

9. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I did this and I now have two files? is this normal?