Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hi, I'm a fan of old tv shows that come in 4:3 and using VisualHub's latest version on their AppleTV 2.0 setting doesn't seem to have the desired effects. I'm getting 2 black bars (letter box effect?) on my conversions. I tried (admittedly not as hard) looking in the advanced settings but did not or could not figure out how to make it stretch to 16:9.

Thanks in advance

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I don't use VisualHub, but you are probably getting pillar-boxing (black bands on the side). If you stretch a 4:3 movie into a 16:9 one, you are going to get distortion. If this doesn't bother you, then I would recommend just using your television to do the stretching. That way you keep the original encode in 4:3. Most tv's have a variety of settings useful for stretching a 4:3 image across a widescreen panel, and they do it so that the distortion is less noticeable than it would be if you encoded it that way.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I don't use VisualHub, but you are probably getting pillar-boxing (black bands on the side). If you stretch a 4:3 movie into a 16:9 one, you are going to get distortion. If this doesn't bother you, then I would recommend just using your television to do the stretching. That way you keep the original encode in 4:3. Most tv's have a variety of settings useful for stretching a 4:3 image across a widescreen panel, and they do it so that the distortion is less noticeable than it would be if you encoded it that way.

Thanks for the reply.

I have used the native stretching tool on my television but I recall VisualHub also having a setting to accomplish this which, for intents and purposes would be a better all around solution for me. It doesn't merely stretch, it crops out a bit of the perspective and fills the screen in a similar way iPhoto does with slideshow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.