Visualized - Why iMac refresh isn't a high priority

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uptownnyc, Jul 30, 2012.

1. uptownnyc, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

uptownnyc macrumors 6502

The iMac will be refreshed eventually ... but this chart clearly tells me why its refresh is a lower-priority than the iOS devices in Apple's product line.

2. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

not really. they are still making billions. And that graph could have been above itunes on desktops if they only had updated them yet this year (and desktops are only one machine that earns money, the imac, since mac pro is a completely abandoned product that sells tiny amounts). I think this shows that iMacs sells quite a lot for being a computer desktop.

So, should they then stop working on itunes too ?....itunes are apps and music and all (?), then I think desktops are surprisingly high on the graph for being so over-aged.
    honestly I think of it as an ecosystem. Stop making mac desktops, all the above graphs would go down too a bit. I stick to iphone because I own macs. If I cant get macs, I don't care about the iphone too.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You know, if you bundle iPod, iPhone, iPad, and iTunes into one line, it gets a whole lot flatter. It's still the top line on an upward trajectory, but it isn't nearly as dramatic.

4. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

That is very interesting, and telling indeed.

But the reality is this: The iPhone and the iPad both need software to be useful. The apps that are produced, along with their updates, require a computer running X-Code to be created.

For this reason, Apple MUST continue to innovate and support their computer lines, even if they consider themselves a 'mobile products' company now. If they allow their computers to stagnate and die, their entire ecosystem, all the way up to the iPad and the iPhone, will wither and die as well.

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Excellent point. When reading your post, I had an instant day-dream (nightmare) of an official Apple press release heralding "X-Code for Windows"...

6. BenniG macrumors member

Let's think further..
    If You need MS Office (because everybody in your enviroment uses it) and MS follows these numbers and decides not to develop MS Office for Mac anymore?
    For me end of Mac.:confused:

7. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

And that's why in 100 years Apple won't exist anymore, and MS will. MS has made sure that they have become an irreplaceable part of everyday business life. Meanwhile, Apple has been content to be the latest fad. So far they have been lucky in this regard(at least for the past 6 years), but this luck can't continue for ever. Remember that company called RIM?

8. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

That crossed my mind when I was writing my previous post, but I threw up a little bit in my mouth, so didn't type it. :p

9. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

If they didn't update the iPhone or iPad for 2+ years then I think it would see a precipitous decline in sales also.

correlation != cause

10. Allenbf macrumors 6502

So you think the lack of MS Office would spell the end of Mac?

Uh, nope. Disagree.

11. JohnGrey, Jul 30, 2012

JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

That graph is formatted to evaluate per class in terms of percentage of total revenue. Of course the the iPhone and iPad are going to make up a greater percentage of total revenue; they have (with the exception of a base Mac mini) the lowest cost and highest usage cross-section of all of Apple products. Given the app/app store/touch paradigm that requires virtually no prior technical familiarity and very little overhead in the way of learning curve, naturally it's going to be a better seller than Apple's computing solutions.

I'd like to see YoY data of total units sold for iMac over the same period. If the rate of increase in units per annum is sufficiently high, and I have no reason to think it's not, then I believe you'll see a refresh in the near term. The iMac is the only real consumer offering that Apple has, and it can't afford to abandon a market segment that lucrative.

12. IPlayFair, Jul 30, 2012

IPlayFair macrumors member

13. BenniG macrumors member

For my use, I mean.

14. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

If Adobe products and MS Office would go away from Mac, THEN it would be a big problem for Apple. If you think about this, it´s kinda strange how hard Apple were grilling Adobe for Flash (though I´m glad they did so we can get rid of flash and move on - one of Steves last helpful service for the world).
    But it´s the same as with Samsung I guess, they sue each other and still work together.

But if Adobe would stop suport mac and MS too, then I would have to move to PC - and many others. Gladly that won´t happen though, I assume nearly 50% of all of Adobes revenue is on Mac.

15. BenniG macrumors member

But office 365 is for companies, not for private users, so in the end not really what I want.

16. Allenbf macrumors 6502

Ah, I get you now. I thought you meant TO YOU, end of the Mac. You said "FOR YOU." My apologies.

:)

17. BenniG macrumors member

Thanks, English is not my mothertongue.

18. Mac2133 macrumors member

You don't need to apologize. You were very clear when you said "For me, the end of mac". There is no ambiguity in what you stated...

----------

Did you even bother to read what was written - "For me, the end of mac".. what part of that don't you get? :rolleyes:

19. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

You nailed it - Apple is so lucky to have disrupted the entire music industry, change the mobile computing experience and revolutionize content consumption. Yes, I remember RIM - weren't they the folks who said that the iPhone was "technically impossible."

20. Lancer, Jul 30, 2012

Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Even with the world moving to laptops and tablets there is still a place for the humble desktop, for now they still offer better performance for your $$ with a bigger screen.

Like any eco-system is you knock out a vital but small part it can unforeseen problems for the rest, take away the iMac and less people will buy into the eco-system, so less iPhone/iPad and iTunes which they all use.

I disagree that Apple will just vanish and MS won't, just look at the mobile market they have barely cracked, if people are indeed moving to tablets and the like then MS could be in trouble no matter how strong there business customers are.