Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
I think this would be a great feature to add in the next software version. It would be great for when you want to listen to music and watch a non-music-video video. What do you guys think? Is there anything preventing this? Would love to hear your opinions. :)

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I think this would be a great feature to add in the next software version. It would be great for when you want to listen to music and watch a non-music-video video. What do you guys think? Is there anything preventing this? Would love to hear your opinions. :)
I don't understand why you are looking for ways to drain your battery faster, and plus who wants to stare at a little screen while using iPod to LISTEN to music?

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
I don't understand why you are looking for ways to drain your battery faster, and plus who wants to stare at a little screen while using iPod to LISTEN to music?

It could just be an option for those who like using the visualizer on their computers. You could turn it on in the area that shows shuffle, repeat, etc. when listening to music.

I'm also not talking about using for five hours at a time; it just might be fun for a shorter period of time when you're listening to music and alone or nothing else is going on.

taylordevstudio

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Visualizer development

hey guys, I am new to this forum and to iphone development, but like you I desperatly want a visualizer for the iphone. The holdup on the app until recently has been that there is no access to the music files as a developer for thrid party apps in the current and previous os. But with the release of 3.0 that will all change and apple will allow access. Seeing as 3.0 is coming i decide to make one myself. I was wondering if you guys had any input into what you want out of the visualizer, and if you guys had any visualizers for other things that you like, so I can study them.

taylordevstudio

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
re:

yeah i was looking into that, but i can't do a direct port of it because that will proly run into all sorts of copyrights and such, which i don't want to mess with

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
On account of me using my iPod Touch for music via my dock/amp, and for the odd movie on my TV, I'd take a visualiser thank you.

tommy8884

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
I think it would be great. I would love a graphic equaliser visualisation on the screen when listening to the iPod. The phone could detect when its docked and show it then, so you dont waste battery with it in your pocket?

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
On account of me using my iPod Touch for music via my dock/amp, and for the odd movie on my TV, I'd take a visualiser thank you.

I think it would be great. I would love a graphic equaliser visualisation on the screen when listening to the iPod. The phone could detect when its docked and show it then, so you dont waste battery with it in your pocket?

Yeh, same i want a visualiser for when my iPhone is docked.

taylordevstudio

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
so i was just goin make it as an app so the user would just choose whenever they want it on...It proly would be a pretty heafty drain on the battery becuase visualizers actually take a large amount of processing power as i recently found hehe, i don't know if the plugging into a dock would work unless the app was already running when you plugged it in, because apple doesn't allow for apps to run in the backgorund, but i will certainly experiment and see what i can do thanks guys any other features you guys are intrested in just let me know

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Visualizer app is possible in 3.0. 3rd party apps can access your iTunes music database. Just build an app that accesses your music and displays a visualizer.

taylordevstudio

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Visualizer app is possible in 3.0. 3rd party apps can access your iTunes music database. Just build an app that accesses your music and displays a visualizer.

that is the idea, my bad should have been more clear on that. What i am really looking for is examples of other visualizer to get inspired by, at this point i have a decent proof of concept down. now i am looking for input in terms of making it look good and expand the options in terms of graphics and such. if you guys could point me towards some good ones that would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.