Visually Impaired user needs Automatic Resolution Change

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brilliant5125, Apr 25, 2009.

1. brilliant5125 macrumors newbie

My 9 year old son has a severe visual imparement. As a result on my 24 inch imac he finds it best when the resolution is set to 1280 x 800. I on the other hand find that the highest resolution works best for me.

He has a hard time finding the menu to change the resolution when its in its highest resolution mode without my help, so I would like to set it up that when he logs in as him the resolution is automatically set. I can not seem to figure out how to tie that setting to his account... any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I have not known OS X to allow for preset resolutions for each user account especially when anything outside of the native resolution loses quality. I have to ask, if your son is severely visually impaired why is he using a computer? Even Universal Access or voice activated software wouldn't benefit him if he's severely visually impaired. :confused:

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There are people with complete blindness that are still able to use computers rather proficiently. The Mac has shown itself to be one of the better options in fact.

I found this app, SwitchResX, which may not address the per user resolution issue, but does look to at least at a minimum let the resolution be changed more easily for your son.

4. Sullycanpara macrumors newbie

Wow...how obtuse.... so I guess since I'm severely visually impaired, I should just up and sell my Mac then and go back to what....pen and paper....or is that beyond me as well? Gee, guess I should give up the other hobbies I enjoy, like mountain biking, skiing, hiking...all that other stuff eh?

On the other hand, why not visit with someone with some form of impairment and see just how good they can get doing "normal" tasks. As others have said, my completely blind bro-in-law can compute circles around most computer users that I know, and I have met some really gifted people who decided not to let their "impairments" be a detriment to their lifestyle.

Oh, and I'll have you know, Mac (and even Microsoft) include Universal Access type of software in their OS'es to actually FACILITATE people with special needs in using their computers. Heck, the stuff that Mac includes with their universal access is something that I had to literally pay hundreds for on my PC...included for free with my Mac. Now if only I could get a tool to help me find the mouse pointer like I had in the PC, and the adaptive software on the Mac would be perfect.....

And to the OP...sorry I can't help, but I wish you luck in finding something for your son...something like that has to be out there!

Cheers,

Tim

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Dude, please grow up a bit. I asked because I didn't understand, that's all. Your snide remarks are unnecessary. The OP's son is severely visually impaired, that sounds to me that he can barely see the screen. The OP wants to the resolution lowered to show larger fonts. I didn't understand the point behind that if he can barely see. Learn to understand somebody's question rather than make childish remarks. :p

6. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Can you teach him to use the "zoom" modes so the menu will be easier to use?

command-option-+/-

7. Sullycanpara macrumors newbie

You ask me to grow up? Hmmm, so you post, "I have to ask, if your son is severely visually impaired why is he using a computer? Even Universal Access or voice activated software wouldn't benefit him if he's severely visually impaired", those are your comments exactly, and you wonder why I might have made a snide comment?

Sorry, but you show a large amount of ignorance, assuming that someone has no business using a computer when they can't see the screen all that well. I can understand not knowing exactly how someone with low vision might be able to use a computer, and wondering how they might adapt to allow use of a computer. Why do you think Mac (and Microsoft) include zoom features and text-to-speech functionality with their software? Exactly a nod towards those that might need the help.

Just because you don't understand how someone with low vision can use a computer doesn't mean you should question why a father should try to help his child with adapting the computer to his needs, and to help his child be more independent. Learn to understand someone else's issues and problems rather than making ignorant comments.

And to the OP, I was thinking, what about the fully sighted users automatically re-setting the resolution down after each use, so that when your son gets to the computer it is already good to go? A little bit of a pain for those that don't need the lower resolution, but it would definitely give your son a bit more independence. Worth a shot perhaps?

Cheers,

Tim