Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vivaldi web browser this week pushed out its sixth major release, bringing a new Workspaces feature and custom icons and themes to the highly configurable Mac app.

vivaldi-workspaces.jpg

Similar in functionality to virtual desktops, the new Workspaces feature is designed to further enhance the browser's powerful tab management by letting users organize tabs by category into separate workspaces and switch easily between them.

For example, users can create Workspaces for productivity, social media, news, and shopping, and then open related tabs within those Workspaces, making it possible to flip between different sets of tabs and keep workflows organized.

vivaldi-6.jpg

Workspaces can also be used in conjunction with Tab Stacks (similar to Safari's Tab Groups). Vivaldi offers the example of maintaining a Sports workspace and having stacks for "Football," "Cricket," "Racing," and "Tennis" to sub-organize your tabs.

In addition, Workspaces support Vivaldi's Tab Tiling feature, allowing users to view multiple tabs in a split-screen or grid within workspace groups.

Elsewhere in Vivaldi 6.0, the browser's built-in theming tools have been upgraded to include new Custom Icons, which can be found in the Themes Gallery. With different icon packs now supported, users can create anything from a Windows 95-inspired look, complete with the familiar buttons and colors, to something more artistic with the Hand Drawn style.

Users can head to Settings -> Themes -> Create more Themes to get started, or use the new filter on the Themes page to see only themes with new custom icons.

Vivaldi browser 6 is a free download for Mac available directly from the Vivaldi website. The browser includes built-in tracking protection, innumerable tab tools, a translation feature, Chrome extensions support, and much more.

Article Link: Vivaldi 6.0 Web Browser Introduces Tab Workspaces and Custom Icons

florida man

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
It’s already a great chrome replacement on Mac, but can’t quit chrome completely until it finally comes out for iOS. Wonder if they’re waiting for the WebKit requirement to go away.

DarthVader1950

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2023
Massachusetts

Vivaldi web browser this week pushed out its sixth major release, bringing a new Workspaces feature and custom icons and themes to the highly configurable Mac app.

vivaldi-workspaces.jpg

Similar in functionality to virtual desktops, the new Workspaces feature is designed to further enhance the browser's powerful tab management by letting users organize tabs by category into separate workspaces and switch easily between them.

For example, users can create Workspaces for productivity, social media, news, and shopping, and then open related tabs within those Workspaces, making it possible to flip between different sets of tabs and keep workflows organized.

vivaldi-6.jpg

Workspaces can also be used in conjunction with Tab Stacks (similar to Safari's Tab Groups). Vivaldi offers the example of maintaining a Sports workspace and having stacks for "Football," "Cricket," "Racing," and "Tennis" to sub-organize your tabs.

In addition, Workspaces support Vivaldi's Tab Tiling feature, allowing users to view multiple tabs in a split-screen or grid within workspace groups.

Elsewhere in Vivaldi 6.0, the browser's built-in theming tools have been upgraded to include new Custom Icons, which can be found in the Themes Gallery. With different icon packs now supported, users can create anything from a Windows 95-inspired look, complete with the familiar buttons and colors, to something more artistic with the Hand Drawn style.

Users can head to Settings -> Themes -> Create more Themes to get started, or use the new filter on the Themes page to see only themes with new custom icons.

Vivaldi browser 6 is a free download for Mac available directly from the Vivaldi website. The browser includes built-in tracking protection, innumerable tab tools, a translation feature, Chrome extensions support, and much more.

Article Link: Vivaldi 6.0 Web Browser Introduces Tab Workspaces and Custom Icons
I am a big fan of Vivadi, but I like Protopage as my be all for page management

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
So far I've been using Safari and Firefox on the side. I like the fact that Safari easily syncs links and open pages over all the devices. Its smooth enough, even on a 12 year old Macbook Pro running Big Sur (OCLP'd).

Will try Vivaldi for a while on the side.

Last edited:

shapesinaframe

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
Been using Vivaldi as my work browser for a couple of years now. The tab stacking and tiling is perfect for working across many web pages at once (I need to have easy access to about 30-50 tabs split out into stacks according to projects and functions).

The degree to which you can customise the UI and it’s functionality is incredible. Nothing else comes close.

I don’t use it for my personal browser, but if it ever gets an iOS app release I’d definitely try it out to see if it could replace Safari.

Reactions: JaneN and lionel77

perfectamundo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
As a designer, I use Pinterest on a daily basis and the handy Pinterest extension for Chrome - which unfortunately doesn't work on Vivaldi, or Safari.

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
Hmm. Maybe I need to try this out. My work requires me to have about 20+ tabs open at once, it would be nice to try out different tab management.

Reactions: JaneN

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
I'd love to use a third-party browser but am held back by two things – does anybody know if these have been fixed yet?

1. Keychain integration – don't want to use a third-party password manager!
  2. True picture-in-picture support – sending video playback to the corner of the screen while I do absolutely anything else, including using other apps.
  3. Oh and one other thing – optimised for battery life. Safari is famously very frugal. Have the other browsers caught-up to it yet?

shapesinaframe

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
I'd love to use a third-party browser but am held back by two things – does anybody know if these have been fixed yet?

1. Keychain integration – don't want to use a third-party password manager!
  2. True picture-in-picture support – sending video playback to the corner of the screen while I do absolutely anything else, including using other apps.
  3. Oh and one other thing – optimised for battery life. Safari is famously very frugal. Have the other browsers caught-up to it yet?
AFAIK no 3rd party browser has keychain integration (this is why I use it for work, we have a third party password manager so no keychain isn’t an issue)

Yes it has PiP support.

Not sure about battery consumption, I use a Mac mini.

JaneN

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
Hi everyone! Jane from Vivaldi team here. Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I only recently joined this forum and noticed a couple of questions/comments I can reply to.

@florida man and @shapesinaframe, we released the first version of Vivaldi on iOS last week. You can get it from the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/app/vivaldi-browser/id1633234600.

I like clean UI ...

With the abundance of customization options, you can make the UI as minimalist or maximalist as you like. You can even browse with the whole UI hidden and rely on the shortcuts (Quick Commands, Keyboard Shortcuts and Mouse Gestures).

I like the fact that Safari easily syncs links and open pages over all the devices.
You can sync open tabs on all devices with Vivaldi as well. ;)

As a designer, I use Pinterest on a daily basis and the handy Pinterest extension for Chrome - which unfortunately doesn't work on Vivaldi, or Safari.
I did a quick test with the Pinterest extension and it worked fine. If you're still having issues with Pinterest in Vivaldi, please describe the issue in more detail.

If you have more questions about Vivaldi, don't hesitate to ping me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.