vivaldi A New Browser.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michaelgtrusa, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Let us know what you think of it.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It sent the CPU usage to 100% on my MacBook Pro while grabbing screenshots of the bookmarks I imported. It's designed like a Windows 8 app too.

Good set of features so far though.

4. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

This browser is progressing rapidly! Even in tech preview stage it's getting closer and closer to 'real' Opera (12 version). They are doing a really great job there. My soon to be default browser for sure :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been using vivaldi on the side (for some browsing but not as my main browser). I'm fairly happy with it.

6. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The dev's are working very hard at it. So far it's really good.

7. dusk007, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Looks great. I like the flat look.
    As a long time Opera fan, who switched to Chrome after Opera, well, got useless, I look forward to this.
    I do miss some bookmark managing features. In Chrome that just doesn't work right. In Opera I used to be able to give folders little tags/shortcuts that if typed in the address bar opened the entire folder in various tabs.
    I barely use bookmarks anymore in Chrome because it is such a pain.

I also really miss the single key shortcuts. I only get by because BetterTouchTool and the mac Trackpad are quite a powerful combination, but without that on a desktop or Windows notebook, I would feel really hindered.

Personally I don't need the Mail feature on Mac. The rest looks really good. Especially to finally have some control over keyboard shortcuts again. I cannot really try much, it does not seem to want to load anything on Mac (correction it works it just takes an oddly long time), but I hope there is a feature like type-ahead-find. Opera used to have it and it made navigating big web sites like price comparison sites a breeze. CMD+F is just not the same.

I love the CMD+G. Cannot wait till this is prime time ready. It has issues with my crappy wifi connection right now, probably should start rendering a little sooner.

8. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Oooof! I used to have a soft spot for Opera, although never used it as my main browser. I really, really don't like the UI of Vivaldi though. It doesn't look or feel Mac-like and its too blocky and cluttered.

Initially I opened it, tried it for about 15 seconds and went, "Urgh!" and closed it. Then I thought, maybe I'm being childish - I should try again and give it a fair chance. So I went to reopen it and now it won't launch at all. So much for that.

I'll wait for the finished version and hope they've sorted the UI out - which I really hope they do!

9. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

UI is built using HTML5. So in theory, any web developer can make it look as they please. That really won't be a problem.

This isn't even an alpha version, we will just have to wait for an honest beta version at least.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If it gets like Opera used to be, there will probably be some skinning action going on and everybody can make it look however they like. Personally I really dig the current look though. I like the flat modern style and a lot of apps that look good don't follow generic yosemite style.

11. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Personally, I'd disagree with the above. As a user I expect a consistent look and feel to Mac OS X apps, unless there's a compelling reason to deviate.

That said, if you're right and there's a relatively easy way to skin the app to look more Mac-like then that's the problem solved. Although I'd suggest that "looking Mac-like" should be the default for a Mac app with skins providing the option to deviate from that if a user feels like it.

12. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

A couple of days ago they released a first beta version. Worth checking up.
    Even if it still a little buggy, Vivaldi is my main browser for a couple of months now. Simply too many (excellent) features keep me away from other browsers :)

13. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Vivaldi is Fast... very fast.

I like it as a companion to the very best browser for my use... Chrome.

14. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

Cool, but "Vivaldi" makes it sound like a browser marketed to the elderly.

15. adonis3k macrumors 6502

16. rosario1990 macrumors regular

Seems it totally new to me. need to check it out.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2016 ---
    Did you use this it before? If it is like Chrome would be much better to use.

17. adonis3k macrumors 6502

seems to be quite fast on my mac compared to Safari and Chrome, adblocker etc are working fine.

18. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Dude's clearly got a thing for classical. At least he went Baroque instead of calling the thing "Hildegard von Bingen".