Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Vivaldi New Web Browser

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Just recently discovered Vivaldi, a new browser. Its a browser focused on the needs of a power user. So far i'm impressed with all the features and the processing speed. Anyone here tried it or use it as their default browser? Curious what other users think of it, has it replaced your chrome, safari, firefox?

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I have been using it all day and WOW it is like Safari and Chrome got together and had a baby with all of the features that I liked about it, and it inherited some of its own little qualities like stacked tab and side by side tabs.
Having access to Chrome Extensions is a HUGE plus as well. Vivaldi will probably be on my machine for a long time to come.

EDIT: some more information can be found here from LifeHacker
http://lifehacker.com/a-screenshot-tour-of-vivaldi-the-new-power-user-web-br-1770875531

Last edited:
Reactions: TOMIMOT

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Looks cool. Will try it out. I remembered reading about this a long time ago but thought better to use a 'new' browser.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
I have been using it all day and WOW it is like Safari and Chrome got together and had a baby with all of the features that I liked about it, and it inherited some of its own little qualities like stacked tab and side by side tabs.
Having access to Chrome Extensions is a HUGE plus as well. Vivaldi will probably be on my machine for a long time to come.

EDIT: some more information can be found here from LifeHacker
http://lifehacker.com/a-screenshot-tour-of-vivaldi-the-new-power-user-web-br-1770875531
Totally agree! What's interesting is that this is version 1.0, curious to see how it will evolve over the next few years. Going to give chrome and Safari a run for its money

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
Not very Mac-like... and it has Chromium all over it. It's a 1.0 release so I'm sure they will do a lot more work on the UI. And it needs to be optimized too... just watching a CNN video had Activity Monitor/Energy Impact over 200. Same video in Safari/Flash barely topped 50 combined.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Been using it a long time, and finally dropped Chrome for it. They've taken Chromium and added a lot to it, and changed other things in it. I do hope they get the sync function going soon, but for now, I'm happily with it as my default.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Can't customize my cookie options, so it can't replace Firefox yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.