Vixia HFS10 and the Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lbeck, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I just bought the Vixia HFS10 and realized that the supplied software is for windows only. Canon really screwed up on this one.

iMovie will import the video files but they dont seem to be as high of quality. I'm using iMovie '08. Is iMovie degrading the video quality? When I import them I select the option to import the full 1080 format.

More importantly, what is the best way to transfer the video files to my iMac without losing any quality. And what is the best software that I can use to do edits, Final Cut? I'm a stickler for high quality, especially since I spent $1000 on the camcorder. Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. mbell75 macrumors 6502

I cant think of any manufacturer that supports Mac on their bundled software, its not just Canon. There are tons of topics already on this forum, 3 of the first page alone, did you look around first?

3. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Yes, I looked around. I did not find answers to my specific questions.

My main concern is the best way to transport the video files from the camcorder to the iMac. iMovie appears to be dropping the quality.

If anyone has an actual answer for me it would be much appreciated.

4. mbell75 macrumors 6502

imovie doesnt drop the quality, it actually decompresses the MTS file, as will FCP. If you have a Mac, those are your only 2 options.

5. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Maybe I used the wrong term then, but the quality of the video through iMovie is not good. Whatever it does to the files, the video is lower quality.

There has to be a way to keep high quality videos when transferring the files to the mac. I dont understand why you can't download the video file and play it at the HD quality that it was shot at.

Do you use a mac? What is your process for downloading your videos?

6. mbell75 macrumors 6502

What do you mean? The raw footage once its in imovie or after you export it? imovie actually INCREASES the quality. For example, when I shoot at 17Mbps, its been compressed in AVCHD format. When I up it to imovie, its transcoded into AIC format and uncompressed, its actually about 36Mbps. Yes, I use a Mac. I should hope you do to seeing as how this is a Mac forum :)

7. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Man I'm sorry but no way is iMovie 08 increasing the quality of my video. It's doing the exact opposite.

Thanks for your time, dont worry about it.

8. mbell75 macrumors 6502

I am not sure how 08 works, I use 09 and they made some changes to it.

9. Illmetaphor macrumors member

10. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Not sure about 08, but could you describe the quality loss?

I'm guessing it may just be the small preview window you're looking at. Watching any video at a size other than its true resolution could give the perception of quality loss.