Vizio 120Hz Tv compatible with Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mohicanspap, May 9, 2013.

1. mohicanspap, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

mohicanspap macrumors regular

So I purchased a Vizio E420i-a1. It is 1080p at 120Hz. Problem is my TV will not recognize the computer. I a, connecting it with a ThunderBolt to HDMI cable and all the TV says is "No Signal". I've tried changing the Resolution and pretty much everything I know.
    Could there be an incompatibility with the fact that the TV is 120Hz?

Thank you!!:)

Also could this be resolved if I purchase a Apple TV? Was planning to eventually but seems like it will happend sooner than later.

2. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Compatible inputs should be
    1920x1080p@24 Hz
    1920x1080p@30 Hz
    1920x1080p@60 Hz

120 Hz Is the panel refresh rate, but it won't accept that as an input.

3. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. So will purchasing a Apple TV be a good fix? I just want to be able to display my computer on the TV from time to time.

Thanks Again

4. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Set the resolution to any off the listed and it should work.

5. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried every listed resolution and to no avail :( I have even tried it under my Windows Bootcamp Partition and still doesn't connect. Again the computer recognizes the TV but the TV still says "No Signal"

6. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

I've been looking online and it seems my cable (Thunderbolt>HDMI) may not be 120hz compliant. So I'll have to see if a Mini Display Port to Dual Link DVI will work or some adapters might come into play. Very expensive cable but fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted.

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Or you just set your Mac to 60Hz in System Preferences -> Displays.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What are you trying to do? It appears that you are trying to use your computer as a source of content for your TV. It appears that you want to use your TV as a second display for your computer. These two are not necessarily the same thing. In the scenario of the source, the TV is in control. In the latter, the computer is in control. In this latter scenario, you need a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable. Connect the adaptor and cable. Plug the other end of the cable into one of the TV's HDMI ports. Select that port for your input. Plug the adaptor into your computer's mini DisplayPort.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

10. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

My goal is ultimately to use the TV as an external screen with the laptop in clamshell mode. The cable I've been trying to use is a single cable Mini Display to HDMI. I've been searching some other sites and the issue could be that the cable isn't 1:4 compliant. So what I will try, when I get the chance to, is purchase a Mini Display to HDMI ADAPTER and a HDMI cable. I will share my results when that happens.

Thank you everyone for the responses :)

----------

I've tried every combination or Hz and resolution I could.

11. waw74 macrumors 68030

appleTV really isn't a good option for what you want to do, airplay mirroring is nowhere near the quality you'll get connected via a video cable.

when people are asking what type of cable they mean what BRAND of cable do you have? a lot of times the knock off cables have problems.

do you see the television in system prefrences on your mac?

the 120Hz shouldn't be a problem, as your TV will take a 60Hz signal, and just replay the image twice. (or other speeds and

12. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

So yesterday I had purchased a RocketFish mini display port to hdmi adapter and to my relief it had worked. So I assume the cable I was using before was not 1-4 compliant and was just a bad cable.

Thank you everyone for your responses!!