Vizio 32" HDTV vs LED ACD w/ MB Pros

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pearlbluevtx, Feb 19, 2009.

1. pearlbluevtx macrumors newbie

Currently, I have a macbook in my home office in clamshell mode running with a dell 24" display ... it works great.

I'm considering migrating my office computer from winxp to a MBP 15" or 17" and have been eyeing those new LED/ACD displays ... the 24" and then that 30" which are beautiful!

But, I've had this nagging going on in my head about using a 26" to 32" HDTV and saw one at Wal-Mart ... it's a Vizio 32'' Class Java Series Full-HD 1080p LCD HDTV w/ Digital Tuner, VOJ32 ... for ONLY $497 bucks! CRAZY - 1080p too!

Vizio 32"

I'd mainly be hooking in my current XP machine into this as my monitor but then hopefully moving to a MBP15/17 and interested in thoughts on running a MAC with this TV/MONITOR setup.

What about the resolution of: 1920x1080 ?? will a MBP be fine at that resolution?

What about the connections from the MBP to the HDTV - will I be able to connect from MBP to HDTV with HDMI and some sort of adapter or special cable?

Mistake spending $500 vs $800(led acd) or $1800(30" acd)?

Thoughts??? TIA

2. P Mentior macrumors regular

If you get the previous gen MBP a simple DVI to HDMI cable will work just fine. I'm not too sure about the unibody MBPs as they use mini displayport.

Just remember that an HDTV will have a much lower pixel density then a LCD display so even though it is 1080p it may not look as nice. I find that when i connect my MBP to my 32" HDTV it is not nearly as nice looking as my 22" Samsung display.

3. pearlbluevtx thread starter macrumors newbie

4. virgomac macrumors member

I've been thinking about the same thing myself..does anyone have any good high resolution pictures to show how "not as nice" it might be?

5. P Mentior macrumors regular

I'll try and take a couple tomorrow and post them for you.

6. virgomac macrumors member

Thanks a lot :) Seeing the quality of the display on the LCD TV will definitely help my decision on which way to go.

7. P Mentior macrumors regular

Here is a picture of my MBP connected to my 32" LCD TV. The faint vertical striping is just from the camera so don't worry about that. You can see that the screen ratios are different from the black bars on the MBP display. You picture quality will be somewhat better through HDMI but I couldn't find my DVI-HDMI cable. For me the picture quality was all that much better anyway.

Attached Files:

8. virgomac macrumors member

Thank you very much for the picture, downloaded it and blew it up a bit and the text is very readable and crisp. Making me lean towards the LCD TV idea.

I was thinking of getting I believe it was a 42-44" one, I wonder how much that will affect the crispness of it since it will have the same resolution 1920x1080 as your 32". I'm guessing it will decrease slightly since its the same resolution but with a larger screen space.

Guess I could always just buy a mini display port to HDMI cable and go to the store and just try it out to make sure.

9. pearlbluevtx thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for posting the photo and the idea of going to the store is pretty good. I wonder if a Best Buy store would do that for me if I went in there and had them connect one of their MB/MBPs to a LCD... good idea on trying that!

honestly, your photo doesn't look bad. I was hoping I would have more real estate on the screen ... and on my DELL24" with my MB, the desktop is maxxed out at 1920x1200 ... which works great for me. Guess I just need to try it out.

many thanks

10. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

All you will need to hook it up is the Mini-DisplayPort - DVI cable($29) from Apple. And because it won't carry sound, your audio connections will have to be separate.

11. virgomac macrumors member

12. California macrumors 68040

California

Costco has the 32" Vizio which is newer than the model you suggested in black for $389. Got it a couple of weeks ago. It works seamlessly with my MB aluminum, and actually matches. No USB, though. Also has 1366X768 native resolution.

13. pearlbluevtx thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see how that 1366x768 res would be pleasing ... I was planning on running the mb or mbp at the highest res which I can't recall what is but I thought it was higher than 1366... Thanks for the link

14. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm only getting 1260 x 720 or something resolution on the Vizio, even though the TV specs say it can take up to that 1366 res.

I didn't realize that Apple displays are like 1900 resolution.

Anyway, it does fine for the price off my aluminum macbook via DVI to HDMI.
    When I try for a higher resolution, the Vizio tv screen cuts off the edges.

15. billtech66 macrumors newbie

Vizio 42" display as my2004 G5 desktop monitor...

I think in order to get higher resolution we need to use a HDTV that's able to go HIGHER rez than what we want to use.
    as the below case seems to show: vizio 42" HDTV is capable of 1920 x 1080, but seems to work best at 1600 x 900:
    First:
    I'm running a old G5, but I'm using the GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256mb video card on this G5. max DVI Resolution : 2560 x 1600 @ 60hz.
    for a while I was using a
    25.5" veiwsonic VX2640W monitor, or a
    samsung 2443BWX 24" Monitor at the same time running the Vizio 42" HD TV as my monitor. (Resolution on all were the same: excellent.)

Now I'm just using the Vizio 42" HDTV for monitor and TV, and I was getting 1920 x 1080 rez,
    but I had an odd problem, minor really. Mainly noticeable when viewing text.
    and this was that when I moved the mouse up or down to the bottom or to the top half of the screen, the other half would get slightly blurry.
    I checked settings, and 1920 x 1080 INTERLACED was the top setting, and was where it was set.
    So, to try which other or if any other settings also did this same 'blurring' I tried them all, and found that some of them didn't do that blurring.

However, when I tried to go back to the 1920 x 1080 setting, the
    screen when black. CRASHED.
    Failed to respond to keyboard and mouse.

Had to press start/Shutdown button on mac desktop to reboot.

I now have it set at 1600 x 900, where it does not do the blurry thing anymore, and am afraid to try 1920 x 1080 (interleaved) again.

One other issue with using the Vizio as a monitor. minor but repeatedly annoying:

when switching between TV and HDMI it takes the PC 3 to 4 seconds to come up on screen; but it takes the Mac 15 seconds to appear. it flashes a split second picture of the desktop after 5 seconds, then blank, then finally comes up in another 10 seconds.

SO, any feedback?
    I am needing to decide whether to upgrade mac OS from 10.4.11 to Leopard, 10.5, to see if it fixes my 1920 x 1080 blurring/crashing problem;
    or, to buy a new Mac, possibly to be able to use XP Pro and run PC games on it (AND to see if it fixes my 1920 x 1080 blurring/crashing problem;
    ). or
    to buy a PC and forget the Macs (hard to do.)
    but considering it, since:

I spent a frustrating hour searching @ apple.com for a way to POST A QUESTION in discussion forums! no way to do so even tho in HELP screen they say: Click on "Post New Topic" link at the top of a relevant forum page. but, "Post New Topic" doesn't exist! NO where. even on site maps, or on A RELEVANT FORUM PAGE.

Well, I do say:
    I much prefer Macs over PC's, been using apples since the Apple II. got one of the first Macs in 1984, have been spending huge amounts of money on all these computers since they came out.
    But, with the policies and arrogance that Apple, and any Corporation for that matter, displays, and PRACTICES. I'm disgusted.

JUST A FEW EXAMPLES:
    1. iphone doesn't even have cut and paste!!!!!!!!!!
    2. iphone doesn't have a practical usable SEARCH feature. (if you count that TINY search feature in contacts, as a usable search feature, then you have MUCH smaller fingers than I do. AND IT ONLY WORKS ON TITLES AND ONLY WORKS IN CONTACTS.)
    3. iphone is a toy for kids. not much use for any real work.
    4. Why Apple fails to produce the NEXT generation of computers: a UMPC, Ultra Mobil Personal Computer, palm top computer that is linked to the internet like the iphone, that has a 5" to perhaps as large as 8" screen. and is FAST. FAST. FAST. not SLOW. SLOW. SLOW like the iphone.

Others ARE making the UMPC; like this very SWEET 5" OQO model 02 http://i.gizmodo.com/5124185/oqo-model-2%2B-is-%2B10-awesome-oled-touchscreen-global-3g-and-speed-up
    or this 8" vaio http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050490,44440728p,00.htm
    OR this very expensive tough book, 5.6" http://www.groupmobile.com/specs.as...cs+Itronix+GoBook+MR-1+Fully+Rugged+UMPC.html

In fact I think the next Generation of computer evolution is the UMPC.
    Am I wrong?
    Here's why:
    1. After iphone introduced the concept of "internet anywhere". but has too many limitations to fulfill that role properly, quickly and elegantly.

2. Laptops are just to cumbersome for most people to take everywhere (as in "internet anywhere".)

3. and the iphone and all it's wanabees are way to SMALL, to work well.

Then the UMPC does and will fulfill those rolls magnificently.
    THEY ARE:
    1. small enough for a pocket, so WE CAN take it anywhere.
    2. with a keyboard large enough to type fast without straining our eyes or our patience.
    3. Powerful enough to make them FAST.
    4. large enough hard drive for any and ALL the programs we usually use and NEED.

SO, we can now, with a UMPC: check our calendar. our grocery list. compare prices on the internet while at any big box stores, right there on the spot, fast enough to matter.
    check your amortization spread sheet on financing they are claiming to be so great. hehe. ON the spot, fast enough to matter.

The only question is: WHY didn't Apple think of this? follow through on it?
    well, they did, and failed. Too early, too little.
    So, Apple, quit your pouting and get to work! :)

just kidding, we know you aren't pouting. :)
    and, are you working on this??

16. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

First of all, Apple can't have everything you want in the first versions of the iphone because then you wouldn't want to upgrade to a new one. Its business.

They may be working on tablet, kinda like the UMPC's you mentioned but they aren't in any hurry to add more competition to the iphone/ ipod touch. Really I wouldn't worry about it, they make money the smart way and yes its frustrating but its business.

Now to the TV stuff.

My MBP screen is 1440x900. Now unless I hook it up to something of higher resolution I'm not getting any more screen room. Just bigger pixels of what I already had. Now having a second screen means more room but if you have your MB and your TV at say a 1280x800 resolution, the TV will be blurrier than the comuter at the same viewing distance because the pixels are simply bigger. Losing the crispness basically.

I'd go for the 1920x1080 resolution. Connectivity wise you can just use a DVI to get the best picture, or HDMI for both I guess. For HDMI you'll need a DVI-HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable. I personally use DVI and have my audio sourced somewhere else. I have a Samsung 24" TV/monitor. And its great and just as clear as my MBP screen but it is at 1080p so I get more room. I would recommend the TV, its a cheaper alternative to an ACD. And ACDs are high quality monitors for more professional uses with color accuracy and such. So if you are ok with not having the absolute top of the line quality TVs are as cheap as monitors in the 30"+ price range. Anything below 30" monitors will be cheaper. Generally.

Hope that helps some.