Vizio Internet Apps and Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jpix55, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jpix55 macrumors member

I recently replaced a NETGEAR wireless router with an Airport Extreme. I have a Verizon DSL modem, connected to the APE. All my devices (iPhones, iPods, ATV1, MBPs, Kindle Fire, etc) could all connect just fine with no problems. However, my Vizio TV would not connect. With the NETGEAR router the TV connected just fine.

I called Apple first and they walked me through some trouble shooting tips and determined that it was most likely not connecting because of some unopened ports. I then called Vizio and asked for these ports and they gave them to me. Next up was Verizon. When I told them I wanted to have some ports opened they wanted me to purchase either a $14.99 a month subscription to their computer care problem, or take a one time fee of $39 to have these ports opened.

Before I do either (or possibly just cancel my Verizon subscription after 25 years), I wanted to know if opening ports would even solve my problem.

Anyone else have a similar situation that would like to share a solution? It would be much appreciated.

2. ajklink macrumors newbie

Vizio Netflix app with port forwarding

My Vizio TV could not connect to Netflix, but it could connect to Hulu and other apps via wifi. The solution that worked for me was port forwarding. Netflix uses ports 443 and 80 for Vizio TVs. Try this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-R-eHiQco to learn how to set up port forwarding on whatever router you have. You will need to enter the IP address of the Vizio TV (which you can find in the Network settings on the TV). Restart your TV and Netflix should work. If other apps aren't working, you'll need to find out what ports they use (http://portforward.com/cports.htm) and have them forwarded to your TV's IP address as well.

3. jpix55 thread starter macrumors member

ajklink,

I haven't been in the forums in long time and just read your post. I have since purchased the newer ATV and run Netflix through it. However, I am definitely curious if your method will work for me. Thanks for the reply.